The Community Cycling Center is proud to be launching Bike Club at George Middle School! Bike Club participants are 6 th graders. The Bike Club Volunteer will have a passion and experience working with diverse and low-income youth; familiarity with experiential education; experience facilitating groups; and an interest in bicycles. Our Bike Club Volunteer must own a bicycle. This is a seasonal position that will run from mid March through late May. This is a prime opportunity to gain valuable hands-on teaching experience in a collaborative, fun environment.
- Complete a comprehensive Bike Club Staff training (Date and location TBD, we can work with your schedule)
- Using an established curriculum, co-instruct an after-school bicycle safety program for 12 youth. Lessons include basic flat tire repair, bicycle safety checks, rules of the road, and group riding;
- Implement our riding protocol and maintain a safe environment for all students;
- Support an adult or youth Bike Club Assistant;
- Conduct yourself in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated knowledge of safe and legal bicycle riding;
- Ability to support instructors, work collaboratively with Center staff
- Experience facilitating groups of youth
- Experience working with low-income families
- Experience working with diverse communities, across cultures
- Ability to ride a bicycle up to 10 miles
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Criminal background check required
Hours: ~5 hours per week for approximately 12 weeks with additional training time. The George Bike Clubs are scheduled for Tuesdays from 3:30-6:30pm. Bike Club volunteers are asked to commit to the entire term of service.
To Apply: Send a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you’re drawn to this position. Please include your experience working with children, adults and bicycles.
Position open until filled.
- Physical Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Verbal / Written Communication
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- About 5 hours/week for about 12 weeks