4 people are interested
Using a BHS provided script, Tour Guides lead groups throughout the city learning about places, people and events that shaped the Queen City. Costumes (we provide those too) are encouraged.
- Educate tour attendees about the history of Bangor
- Interact with the public in a positive and engaging manner
- Collect tour fees from attendees and deposit money at the Hill House
- Tour Guides are asked to attend an orientation course at the BHS. Courses are regularly scheduled and will last approximately an hour. In addition, Tour Guides will shadow experienced BHS guides as they give tours.
- Tour Guides will be supplied with information regarding the Hill House and its history and are encouraged to ask staff for help at any time.
- Tour guides are expected to commit to at least 3tours per year
- Tour dates and times vary- a mix of weekday evenings and weekend mornings/evenings
- Location: Downtown Bangor, Mt. Hope Cemetery
Qualifications and Skills:
- Reliable and punctual
- Comfortable speaking in front of small groups
- Desire to learn about local history
- Outgoing and enthusiastic about interacting with the public
- Able to work independently
- Responsible money handling
- Learn about local history topics
- Access to the museum’s resources and collection as well as learning materials
- Gain public speaking experience
- Free admission to Thomas A. Hill House museum
- 15% discount on gift shop purchases
- After 100 hours of service, a free one-year membership to Bangor Historical Society
We'll work with your schedule.
159 Union StreetBangor, ME 04401
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- At least 3 tours per year