Have you ever wanted to know more about Bangor history? Learn more about the storied past of the Queen City and help others do the same! Museum Guides at the Hill House are the most visible members of our staff, giving tours to visitors and staffing events like our membership receptions.
- Educate visitors about the history of Bangor and the Hill House
- Interact with program participants in a positive and engaging manner
- Opportunity to staff BHS events
- Work with staff to improve the programs BHS offers
- Museum Guides are asked to attend an orientation course at the BHS. Courses are regularly scheduled and will last approximately an hour. In addition, Museum Guides will shadow BHS staff as they give tours. All volunteers are encouraged to attend at least one walking tour to learn more about Bangor history.
- Museum Guides will be supplied with information regarding the Hill House and its history and are encouraged to ask staff for help at any time.
- Museum Guides are expected to be available for at least one 3 ½ hour shift a week.
- Shifts are from 9:30 to 1:00 and 1:00 to 4:30 Monday through Saturday.
- Location: Thomas A. Hill House
Qualifications and Skills
- Reliable and punctual
- Comfortable speaking in front of small groups
- Desire to learn about local history
- Outgoing and enthusiastic about interacting with visitors
- Able to work independently
- Enjoys working with children
- Free admission to Thomas A. Hill House museum
- Access to the museum’s resources and collection as well as learning materials
- Free entrance to BHS events
- Gain professional experience
- 15% discount on gift store purchases
- After 100 hours of service, a free one-year membership to Bangor Historical Society
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- General Education
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- At least one 3.5 hour shift per week