Weir River Farm is a picturesque 75-acre working farm in Hingham, MA owned by the Trustees. At the farm, we celebrate local agriculture and the hard-work of our farmers through engaging the community in the mission of the farm and by bringing farm education to children and families. Public programs and events invite the public to visit the farm to meet our barnyard animals, enjoy a local farm dinner, and to learn about where their food comes from. We host preschool programs, family drop-in programs, field trips, summer camp, farm dinners, festivals, and more. Overall, our programs focus on connecting children to the world around them, including their local food system, teaching them to love and appreciate our local farmers and local agriculture from an early age.
Weir River Farm is seeking volunteers who have experience working with children and who are looking for an opportunity to use their experience to assist us in running family programs. Engagement volunteers work directly with our Farm Educator to engage children who visit the farm for our April Tuesday-Friday school vacation programs. No experience with livestock is required, but a general comfort around livestock animals is necessary.
Responsibilities for April School Vacation Program: Duties would include (but are not limited to):
* Assisting Education Manager and Farm Educator in running our Tuesday - Friday Farmer for a Week drop-off program
* Facilitating activities, games, and crafts
* Supervising children, ensuring a safe and fun environment
* Programing runs 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 4 p.m., April 17th - 20th, Tuesday - Friday during Hingham school vacation week
* Seeking volunteers for both the morning and afternoon sessions. Volunteers are welcome to volunteer for one session or both. The ideal candidates would be available for all four days for either/both shifts
* Logging volunteer hours
* CORI/SORI checks are required for this volunteer opportunity
* Have reliable transportation to the Farm
* Enjoy working with children and their parents/guardians
* Willingness to work outside with children
* Have excellent communication skills
* Have a patient and sympathetic attitude
* Ability to walk on a variety of surfaces including grass and other uneven surfaces
* Desire to work at a farm
* Minimum age: 16 years old
April Farmer for a Week Program: April 17th -20th, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and/or 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m..; 1-4 volunteers depending on schedule/availability.
Weir River Farm, 140 Turkey Hill Lane, Hingham, MA 02043
For more information
Contact Eileen Small, Volunteer Resources Coordinator, 781-784-0567 x5501, email@example.com
To explore other volunteer opportunities or sign up as a team, visit our volunteer page at http://volunteer.thetrustees.org/
More about The Trustees
Founded by landscape architect Charles Eliot in 1891, The Trustees has, for more than 125 years, been a catalyst for important ideas, endeavors, and progress in Massachusetts. As a steward of distinctive and dynamic places of both historic and cultural value, The Trustees is the nation’s first preservation and conservation organization, and its landscapes and landmarks continue to inspire discussion, innovation, and action today as they did in the past. We are a nonprofit, supported by members, friends and donors and our 116 sites are destinations for residents, members, and visitors alike, welcoming millions of guests annually. www.thetrustees.org.
The Trustees is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, military service, application for military service, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. The Trustees makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
- Math / Science Instruction
- People Skills
- Critical Thinking
- General Education
- Environmental Science
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- 4/17-4/20, 8:30 am-12:30 pm OR 12:30 pm - 4:30 pm
- Background check required
- Boat House Steward - Norris...
- Communications Intern - Francis...
- Event Volunteer - Bird Park
- Event Assistant - Weir River Farm
- Invasive Species Control...
- Farm Educator Volunteer -...
- Guest Services Ambassador -...
- Gardening Volunteer - Mytoi
- Nest Box Monitor - Charles River...
- Wednesday Garden Crew - Haskell
- Field Assistant Volunteer -...
- Communications Outreach...
- Children's Public Program...
- Barnyard Story Hour Volunteer -...
- Nature Based Educator - Rocky...
- Engagement & Education Volunteer...
- Property Ambassador - Francis...
- Painter Volunteer - Charles...
- Hen Helper - The Farm Institute
- Property Ambassador - Eleanor...