The Board will support the work of Lead Up and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Lead Up’s program director, the Board relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Lead Up for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Assisting the program staff and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members.
- Serving on task forces and taking on special assignments.
- Representing Lead Up to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization.
Lead Up Board Members will consider Lead Up a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Lead Up can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, Lead Up expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
Lead Up’s Board Members will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Lead Up’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Leadership experience including savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- A commitment to and understanding of Lead Up’s beneficiaries and stakeholders.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Lead Up’s beneficiaries
- Service on Lead Up’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
- Resource Development / Management
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Business Development
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 2 year term with quarterly meetings.