Peninsula Volunteers, Inc. (PVI) Meals on Wheels contracts with Aging and Adult Services (AAS) of San Mateo County to provide home delivered meals to clients that meet Older Americans Act (OAA) nutrition guidelines. The clients who receive meals as part of the county program must be contacted at least 4 times per year. This is accomplished with alternating in-home and phone assessments.
- changes in the client’s health
- living situation
- activities of daily living (ADL’s)
- instrumental activities of daily living (IADL’S)
The purpose of the visit is to see if the client still qualifies for the program (and most do). The phone assessment covers basically the same information.
Skills needed to complete the assessments:
- establishing rapport
- recommending appropriate resources.
The volunteer, after training, would be expected to make visits on their own.
Volunteer internship hours:
Once or twice per week for approximately 12 weeks. Days: TBD. Hours: 3 - 4 hour period. Typically one can do 4 to 5 home visits during this time.
We require all our volunteers, who perform in-home visits and meal delivery, to have a criminal background and DMV check. We would cover that cost. The experience of previous volunteer interns has proven to be very successful both for the PVI Meals on Wheels program as well as the students!
If you are interested, please contact Vicki Cormack at email@example.com or call 650-272-5108.
- Elder care
- People Skills
- Case Work / Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Activities Assistants
- Admin Assistant
- Weekday Evening Front Desk at...
- PC and MAC Whiz Needed
- Culture Coordinator(s), Little...
- Community Information Desk at...
- Morning Activity Helper at...
- Passionate about helping...
- Meals on Wheels Social Services...
- Special Events Photographer
- Community Volunteer data...
- Cribbage Game Leader
- FITNESS CENTER VOLUNTEER...
- Bingo Caller
- The Little Shop
- Community Volunteer Program Intern
- Technology Training Internship
- Deliver Meals and a Smile to...
- Little House Cafe Volunteer...