The Dakota County Health Promotion unit is requesting the assistance of volunteers to help promote Simple Steps 2017. Simple Steps is a 4 month walking program that runs April 1- July 31, 2016. This marks the 11th year of Simple Steps and we’re looking to increase participation in this program with the help of energetic volunteers!
There are currently 3 different opportunities to serve as a representative for Simple Steps this year!
You may choose to assist with one or several!
- Table at a local fair or event. Here are 2 events to choose from - although there will likely be more to come so let us know you’re interested even if you can’t make these dates:
- Saturday April 8 from 10am-12:30pm at an elementary school Health and Fitness Fair in Eagan
- April 26 from 9am-12pm at the Veteran’s Memorial Community Center Active Aging Fair in Inver Grove Heights
- Distribute materials (or electronic notifications) in your neighborhood or community. Let us know how many Simple Steps flyers you would like to distribute in your community. Or alternatively, we can also provide electronic blurbs that can be used for posting on Nextdoor.com, Facebook, and other similar platforms.
- Help lead a new walking group - There is high demand for walking groups. We will take you through a 1-hour training that will give you some pointers and the tools to get started in leading or co-leading a group.
Schedule: Volunteer promotion of Simple Steps will occur primarily during the months of March and April, although walking groups can start at any time. Days and times will vary depending on the option chosen. For option #1, on-site events typically last between 2-3 hours, with a total of about 30 minutes for set-up and take down.
Work Location: Variety of locations across the county.
Interest in health promotion work and walking
POTENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Option #1: Promotion at events/fairs (Up to 2 volunteers/event)
- Meet with Dakota County’s Simple Steps coordinator to receive a brief (10 minute) overview of the program and 1-page program talking points. We’ll also send you a short 7-minute video to get you excited about walking!
- Receive a Simple Steps Event Kit that includes everything you’ll need to set up a table at a fair to promote the program. It takes about 5 minutes!
- Simple Steps Coordinator will secure table registration and notify you of event details prior to day of event.
- Arrive to the event on time and encourage walkers to sign up for a reminder e-mail to register for the program. Actively promote walking and its many benefits.
- Option #2: Promote Simple Steps in your community. (Everyone can assist with this!)
- Request flyers for community sites near you. Notify us of number needed and locations (include city and sites) you’ll be advertising. We’ll mail you flyers for posting. Or, request electronic blurb for posting online.
- Option #3: Lead a new walking group(we recommend co-leading with someone)
- Take 1-hour training
- Work with health promotion staff to select a walking route and target audience for your walking group (done at the training)
- Public health can help you market your new group and with the start-up of the first few walks
- Lead walks on a regular basis - frequency, dates and times are up to you!
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Basic knowledge of Simple Steps program and benefits of walking (1-pager we provide you will give you all the information you need)
- Able to communicate effectively
- Ability to work effectively with diverse community members
Varies - community-based locations
Jill Verchota, MPH, RD, LD
Health Promotion Specialist
Dakota County Public Health
1 Mendota Rd W Ste 410|West St. Paul, MN 55118
Direct: (651) 554-6154 | Fax: (651) 306-3140 | Jill.Verchota@co.dakota.mn.us
- Event Management
- Event Planning / Management
- Fitness Instruction
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16