WHEP volunteers annually monitor and evaluate wetland health based on species diversity and population of macroinvertebrates (dragonflies, snails, etc) and plants. Volunteers use wetland assessment protocols and provide valuable wetland data to their local decision-makers.
Volunteers work in city-based teams and are guided by team leaders. Volunteers have a wide variety of backgrounds but all share an interest in understanding and protecting wetlands.
Each city in Dakota County has a team. Choose the city closest to you to get started.
Schedule is determined by the team leader and varies with each team. Active in June and July. Schedules are available in May.
Duties & Responsibilities
Participate in group outings as assigned by the group
Help collect samples
Participate in lab work
Attend the assigned trainings
Able to stand for periods of time
Enjoys working in groups outdoors
Doesn’t mind working in a wet environment
Some weekend hours required
Complete the three program trainings (see below)
Minimum Time Commitment
Active - Involves physical exertion for an extended period of time; can involve rough, uneven or steep terrain. Not recommended for volunteers with physical limitations.
No current experience is required. All trainings are provided for by the county. Below are the three training sessions and locations. You can access the registration pages for each by clicking on the links below.
- May 22 - WHEP Introduction and Field Methods Training: Dakota Lodge, Thompson County Park, West St. Paul
- June 3 - Macroinvertebrate Identification, Inver Hills Community College, Inver Grove Heights
- June 24 - Vegetation Identification, Normandale Community College, Bloomington
Dakota Co. Water Resources Dept.
14955 Galaxie Ave.
Apple Valley, MN 55124
- Group Facilitation
- Environmental Science
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 12
- 10 to 30 hours
- We will provide the equipment and training
- National Get Outdoors Day: Clean...
- Parkrun: Your Local Weekly 5k...
- Keep Your Junk Out of Landfills,...
- Take-a-Kid Fishing
- Help the Red Cross Blood Donor...
- Remove Invasive Species from our...
- Get Rid of Your Household...
- Help Save the Bee Population in...
- Mother's Day High Tea Event
- Sun, Fun, Water, and Science?...
- Simple Steps Walking Program