The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Peninsula (BGCP) is in search of a Grant Writing Intern to manage several grant-related projects this fall. Possible projects include designing a program to capture narrative stories of people who have been impacted by BGCP’s programs-staff, students, and parents. We are looking for pivotal stories that will help us to tell our funders about BGCP’s impact. In addition, we are hoping to more effectively catalog and document BGCP’s history, program descriptions, and more. For a candidate who wants to learn about broader grants management, there is the possibility to take on one or more grant proposals to manage for the summer as well.
The position provides an excellent opportunity to gain experience in business writing/proposal writing and narrative storytelling. In addition, our intern will learn about full-cycle grant management, including application process, budgeting, scoping, and submitting a grant.
Position: Grant Writing & Research Intern (Unpaid)
Expected work hours: 20-30 hours per week, summer 2017
What will you do?
Working under the guidance of the Grants and Marketing Manager, the Grant Writing Intern will have the following duties:
- Develop program summaries outlining how each of our programs are run for our funders
- Develop a compelling summary of BGCP’s history
- Conduct staff interviews to document key points
- Review historical documents and preserve content for easy reference
- With staff support, interview students about their experience at BGCP
- Interview key staff members about what they do and the youth with which they work
- Grant scoping
- Grant drafting
- Conducting prospect research
- Developing a fundraising menu
- Assisting with other grants-related projects as needed
What qualifications will the ideal candidate have?
- One year of related college or professional experience
- Fluency in MS WORD, Excel and Google Drive
- Experience working with databases preferred
- Proven track record of strong writing, research and formatting skills
- Detail oriented candidate with strong time management skills
- Self-starter with an ability to collaborate effectively with a team
- Ideally, our candidate would have some Spanish fluency to facilitate interviews with parents and processing of surveys (not required)
At the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Peninsula (BGCP), our business is changing lives. We are a vibrant, entrepreneurial nonprofit in the heart of Silicon Valley that is committed to partnering with schools to ensure the low-income students of our community graduate from high school, ready for college and career. BGCP is the largest expanded learning time organization in Silicon Valley, serving 2,300 students at twelve sites in East Palo Alto, Menlo Park, and Redwood City. In neighborhoods where ⅓ of the students drop out of high school, BGCP members learn the importance of education and become part of a community of learners, wanting and expecting to succeed in school.
- Resource Development / Management
- Grant Writing / Research
- Community Outreach
- Internet Research
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 20-30 hours per week, summer 2017
- Spanish-Speaking Tutors Needed...
- Research and Evaluation Summer...
- Volunteer Youth Academic Tutors...
- "Book Nook" Reading Tutor
- Data Entry Opportunity (Unpaid)
- Marketing and Social Media...
- Coach Youth Basketball!
- Volunteer Youth ESL/English...
- Volunteer with the Boys and...
- Spanish-speaking Tutors Needed
- Be a Running Buddy for Young...
- Kindergarten Classroom Support
- Academic Youth Development...
- Help Kids with Homework!
- Bilingual Classroom Support...
- Tutor Elementary Math & Literacy...
- Youth Academic Tutors Needed
- Grant Writing and Research...
- College Mentor for Boys and...
- Event Planning Summer Intern...