The Tutor Me Program is an after school program that provides personalized 1:1 tutoring and mentoring sessions twice a week for 120 minutes, each session is 60 minutes long . We are looking to recruit volunteers (college students/teachers/subs/teacher's aids) to provide our services to school age students, grades K-12 that are failing at least one subject. Subjects covered include: Math, Social Studies, Science, Reading and English. Sessions also cover general homework, pre-test study guides, and other academic needs.
- Assist students in a 1:1 environment either at the students' school or at the near library to their school with their homework or any other school work pertaining to their education.
- Serve as a tutor/mentor/role model for one assigned student for one full semester. Sessions are one hour for two sessions a week.
- Help answer students’ answer any questions that they might have concerning their class materials, homework, study guides, test/exam materials, and/or any other projects assigned by their teachers/schools. Give positive feedback. Check for student organization.
- Assist with developing great study skill habits. Be a listening ear.
- Support individual student academic needs as assigned.
- Provide 110% participation in your tutor training, development, and tutoring sessions.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Must be 18 years old or older and can pass a background check.
- Preferred that you have a passion in tutoring/mentoring and can be patience. Understand that you will work with one student on a 1:1 basis working for the entire semester. We serve students, K-12 students with many different backgrounds. Attend tutoring sessions at designated locations.
- Be available for two days a week, 1 hour each session.
- Able to explain subject concepts to student on their levels.
- Possess good organizational skills and be a leader.
- Exhibit patience and positive attitudes in establishing and encouraging learning environments.
- Demonstrated knowledge and competence in the 5 Common Core Subjects: Math, Reading, Science, English, and Social Studies/History. Writing is another area that you may need to assist in.
- Must be able to attend Orientation Training and meeting on a quarterly basis.
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours a week, all school year or per semester
- Willing to be committed our program for one full semester