Assist participants with finding gainful employment, work closely with team of Career Coaches and Instructors to support job preparation and administrative tasks toward this goal including:
- Provide participants with job-related English language training, mock interviews, job application completion, resume development, job search techniques, basic computer training, and financial literacy. Most of the client work will be one-to-one.
- Travel to locations by public transit, depending on your comfort level, to accompany participants on job interviews and related appointments.
- Teach participants how to use public transportation, how to get to work, and locate other necessary resources.
- Conduct job searches tailored to participants’ needs.
- Assist career coaches to expand JVS’ network of employers by doing research on companies.
- Provide administrative support including copying, faxing, data entry and filing for the department.
- Other duties and short-term projects developed to meet department needs and volunteer interests/skills. May include fliers and promotional materials, writing, role-plays for mock interviews, etc.
- Related experience is welcome, but training will be provided.
- Interest in working with people of various linguistic, cultural, religious, ethnic and national backgrounds.
- Commitment to learning techniques for providing effective services to support job outcomes to immigrants.
- English proficiency is required; must be able to take written instruction and read online applications
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to speak other languages not required but welcome; Spanish a plus.
- Good communication and organizational skills.
- Flexibility-responsibilities will vary on a day-to-day basis.
- Empathy for the challenges faced by participants of learning a new culture and a new language.
JVS’s Refugee Services has provided direct employment services to local refugee and immigrant populations for over 40 years. Over 80% of our participants are hired per year and our 90% job retention rate is higher than similar job placement agencies in Boston. To achieve these outcomes, JVS partners with over 1,400 employers in hospitality, retail, agriculture, education, health care, sales, manufacturing, and business; and supports participants in finding and maintaining gainful employment that can lead to successful careers.
English for Advancement is new program that will provide vocational English classes and job search services to non-native English speakers at sites in East Boston and Dorchester. Employment services provided in this program include job search assistance, resume and interview preparation, cultural orientation, pre-employment vocational English language classes, job placement and follow-up, and post-employment support. Career Coaches from the Refugee Services department will work closely with participants to assist them in beginning employment and advancing their careers.
- People Skills
- Career Counseling / Coaching
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- At least 6 hours per week
- Bilingual English/Haitian-Creole...
- ESOL Teaching Assistant,...
- Outreach help needed for new...
- Computer tutor for students in...
- ESOL teaching assistants for...
- Career Coach Assistant, East...
- ESOL Teaching Assistant, Lynn
- Teaching assistant for...
- Teach ESOL class for Haitian...
- Teaching assistant for Bank...
- ESOL teaching assistant, East...
- Career Coach Assistant, Lawrence