About Minnesota Children's Museum
Minnesota Children’s Museum’s mission is sparking children’s learning through play. We are dedicated to providing children with a hands-on and stimulating environment to explore and discover. With locations in St. Paul, Rochester, and the Mall of America, MCM employs 65 full-time and 65 part-time employees and engages over 1,300 volunteers annually. At MCM our workplace values that guide how we work together are: Play, Include, Grow, Serve and Strive.
Minnesota Children's Museum is dedicated to growing a diverse and culturally competent team of highly engaged staff and volunteers. Applicants from diverse populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Youth Development Intern is responsible for coaching high school youth volunteers in program facilitation and customer service, participating in Daily Development activities, and adapting the Daily Development activities to align with best practices in youth development, Museum goals, and youth volunteer needs. The Youth Development Intern will provide positive guidance, performance feedback, and role modeling while supervising youth volunteers on the floor.
During the summer, approximately 90 high school students volunteer on The Play Team, Minnesota Children’s Museum’s youth volunteer program. Volunteers play with children in the Museum galleries, facilitate activities, and provide customer service. Participants gain practical knowledge and skills that enhance college applications, resumes, and future educational and employment pursuits. Play Team participates in "Daily Development" activities in leadership, customer service, working with children, public speaking, and more.
Major Job Accountabilities
This is an estimate of the duties to be included in this internship. The exact duties and projects will be determined by mutual agreement of the intern and museum staff. All duties will be carried out with the direction and supervision of Volunteer Services staff.
Coach youth volunteers in customer service and program facilitation
Mentor youth volunteers in the areas of college and work force readiness
Review, revise, and create new Daily Development activities based on youth development practices
Facilitate select youth volunteer trainings, attend new member training
Work with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
1. Leadership experience working with high school students
2. Experience with and interest in youth development
3. Willingness to learn; creative thinker; team player
4. Ability to follow oral instructions and ask for assistance and additional explanation as necessary
5. Ability and willingness to work independently with minimal supervision
6. Supervisory experience a plus, but not required
7. Junior or Senior standing in post-secondary setting
1. Intern Orientation
2. Assignment Training, ongoing and as needed
3. Optional free trainings - The Ways of Play and Wakanheza
Flexible schedule, Monday-Sunday.
Frequency: Monday mornings are required. Other shifts can be scheduled at intern’s convenience.
Shift: At least three hours between 8:45 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. during the week or between 8:45am and 7:00pm on the weekends.
The Play Team volunteers 8:45am-2:45pm every day of the week, with additional 1:30-7pm shifts on Fridays and Saturdays.
Applications accepted until position is filled. 2 interns needed.
- Youth Services
- General Education
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 15-18 hours per week
- Museum Experience Intern
- Block Party Volunteer
- One Time Gallery Prep Volunteer
- Exhibit Documentation Intern
- Recruitment & Onboarding Intern
- Integrated Marketing...
- Third Free Sunday Volunteer
- Museum Experience Coordinator...
- Studio Assistant - Creative...
- Join the Play Team! Summer Teen...
- Group Assistant
- Exhibit Fabrication Intern
- Digital Media Intern
- Youth Development Intern
- Integrated Communications Intern
- Helping Hand Volunteer
- Studio Intern
- Membership & Sales Intern
- Integrated Marketing Intern