About Minnesota Children's Museum
Minnesota Children’s Museum’s mission is sparking children’s learning through play. We are dedicated to providing children with a hands-on and stimulating environment to explore and discover. With locations in St. Paul, Rochester, and the Mall of America, MCM employs 65 full-time and 65 part-time employees and engages over 1,300 volunteers annually. At MCM our workplace values that guide how we work together are: Play, Include, Grow, Serve and Strive.
Minnesota Children's Museum is dedicated to growing a diverse and culturally competent team of highly engaged staff and volunteers. Applicants from diverse populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minnesota Children's Museum is currently under expansion for a brand new Museum, opening in April 2017. We are expanding our space by 30% and will gain at least 3 more permanent exhibits. The Exhibit Fabrication Intern will assist exhibit production staff in the fabrication of exhibits, installation of exhibitions, and exhibit repair and maintenance. Interns will be given the opportunity to exercise and strengthen their existing skills, to develop new skills of exhibit-making, and to exercise responsibility, creativity and imagination.
Major Job Accountabilities
This is an estimate of the duties to be included in this internship. The exact duties and projects will be determined by mutual agreement of the intern and museum staff. All duties will be carried out with the direction and supervision of Exhibit Fabrication staff.
- Assist in fabrication of exhibit components.
- Install/uninstall traveling exhibits.
- Clean, repair and maintain museum exhibit components.
- Assist in maintaining exhibit shop.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Must have working knowledge and experience with power and hand tools and the ability to use them safely. (Examples: table saw, band saw, routers, miter saw, drills, etc. Prior carpentry and machine shop experience a plus.)
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. or more on an occasional basis.
- Basic knowledge of cleaning supplies and their safe usage.
- Ability to multitask, follow directions and complete tasks in an effective manner.
- Ability to work well with people in a team environment as well as work independently.
- Intern orientation
- Exhibit component operation and maintenance
- Some on the job training of tools/techniques as time permits
Applications accepted until position is filled.
- Exhibition Arts
- Interior / Exterior Decorating
- Interior / Exterior Design
- Arts Administration
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-12 hours per week
- Museum Experience Intern
- Block Party Volunteer
- One Time Gallery Prep Volunteer
- Exhibit Documentation Intern
- Recruitment & Onboarding Intern
- Integrated Marketing...
- Third Free Sunday Volunteer
- Museum Experience Coordinator...
- Studio Assistant - Creative...
- Join the Play Team! Summer Teen...
- Group Assistant
- Exhibit Fabrication Intern
- Digital Media Intern
- Youth Development Intern
- Integrated Communications Intern
- Helping Hand Volunteer
- Studio Intern
- Membership & Sales Intern
- Integrated Marketing Intern