About Minnesota Children's Museum
Minnesota Children’s Museum’s mission is sparking children’s learning through play. We are dedicated to providing children with a hands-on and stimulating environment to explore and discover. With locations in St. Paul, Rochester, and the Mall of America, MCM employs 65 full-time and 65 part-time employees and engages over 1,300 volunteers annually. At MCM our workplace values that guide how we work together are: Play, Include, Grow, Serve and Strive.
Minnesota Children's Museum is dedicated to growing a diverse and culturally competent team of highly engaged staff and volunteers. Applicants from diverse populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is primarily responsible for helping to facilitate various activities within the Museum's Studio. These activities include but are not limited to: supporting and facilitating visitor experiences with art materials, real tools, STEM materials and tactile sensory materials. Other responsibilities include assisting with staff-led programs, and working behind the scenes to ensure that program supplies are prepared and well-maintained.
Major Job Accountabilities
This is an estimate of the duties to be included in the internship. The exact duties and projects will be determined by mutual agreement of the intern and museum staff. All duties will be carried out with the direction and supervision of Museum Experience Coordinator.
- Facilitate and/or assist with facilitating Studio activities both on and off-site following Museum best practices and program write-ups.
- Greet visitors and introduce activities. Provide developmentally appropriate interaction with adults and children in order to encourage playful exploration of materials and experiences
- Monitor and maintain Studio materials, and spaces
- Demonstrate and role model being playful, engaged, welcoming and inclusive of all visitors
- Make observations, ask open ended questions and pose challenges to extend children’s learning
- As needed: Provide assistance to adults and children, redirect undesirable behaviors and adapt facilitation strategies for visitors of varying abilities and ages
- Provide regular feedback on the Studio program through processes and tools provided
- Program Preparations: Complete behind-the-scenes tasks as directed such as doing inventory, prepping supplies, collecting and tabulating program logs, washing smocks, cleaning Studio spaces/supplies, and putting supplies away.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
1. Minimum of 40 hours working directly with children ages 1-8, preferably in a learning-focused environment (day-camp, pre-school/school, child-care center, after-school, tutoring, or informal learning environment such as a nature center or museum). The successful applicant will possess skills and knowledge related to working effectively with this age group.
2. Some post-secondary education in a related subject (education, child psychology, child development, communication, art or music therapy, a STEM field, museum studies, etc.) and an interest in a career related to early childhood, informal learning environments, education, or families.
3. Ability to work well with people in general, and to work effectively and comfortably in a variety of settings - from busy to slow.
4. Ability to follow directions, work independently and complete tasks and communicate in an effective manner.
5. Ability to use feedback on performance to improve effectiveness as a program facilitator.
6. Skill in taking initiative to find and complete additional tasks when assigned work is completed.
7. Preferable skills/experience: customer service, volunteer experience, leadership roles, experience working/volunteering in family-oriented environments (interacting with adults and children together).
- Intern orientation
- The Ways of Play training (Museum educational roots and visitor interaction skills)
- Assignment specific training
- Optional free training: Wakanheza
Applications accepted until position is filled. We are seeking 4-5 interns for this position.
- Child Development
- Teaching / Instruction
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 15-18 hours per week
- Museum Experience Intern
- Block Party Volunteer
- Exhibit Documentation Intern
- Recruitment & Onboarding Intern
- Integrated Marketing...
- Museum Experience Coordinator...
- Studio Assistant - Creative...
- Join the Play Team! Summer Teen...
- Group Assistant
- Exhibit Fabrication Intern
- Digital Media Intern
- Youth Development Intern
- Integrated Communications Intern
- Helping Hand Volunteer
- Studio Intern
- Membership & Sales Intern
- Integrated Marketing Intern