Queens Botanical Garden is an urban oasis where people, plants and cultures are celebrated through inspiring gardens, innovative educational programs and demonstrations of environmental stewardship.
Queens Botanical Garden (QBG) is a private non-profit cultural institution located on 39 acres of New York City owned land. QBG serves over 241,000 visitors each year and strives to keep programs accessible to all audiences. The majority of visitors to the Garden (75%) speak a language other than English at home. The Garden has committed itself to addressing the complex and ever changing needs of its diverse community and to being the place where people, plants, and cultures meet.
All in a day’s work:
- Weeding, mulching, pruning, raking, watering, and planting herbs, annuals, and perennials
- Working with beekeeper and horticulture department to care for and maintain small, intimate garden
- Educating interested visitors about plants grown in the bee garden and about the honey bees
- Available Mondays from 10 am - 1 pm
- Seasonal commitment from September 11 - October 30
- Knowledge of bees and / or gardening a plus but not required
- Willingness to learn how to care for an urban bee garden and its pollinators
- Interest in bees and beekeeping - Preferably not allergic to bees!
- Ability to bend, stand, kneel, or crouch for long periods of time
- Ability to lift 10 pounds, push a wheel barrow, and use basic hand tools such as a trowel, shovel, or rake
What’s in it for you:
- Work directly with Bee Garden specialist and renowned Horticulture Department
- Hands-on education in beekeeping with the potential to help harvest honey!
- Experience a specially designed garden inaccessible to the public
- Free admission and parking on any day you volunteer and passes for friends & family
- 25% discount in the QBG gift shop
- 10% discount on educational workshops and public programs
To apply, send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- Monday mornings from 10 am - 1 pm