Are you passionate about the environment? Do you love gardening and working outside? The Maryland Science Center is looking for help maintaining approximately 4,000 square feet of vegetated space on our green roof. Our urban roof garden, comprised of native Maryland plant species, offers a safe haven for butterflies, bees and other insects. Volunteers are needed from early spring (March/April) through mid-autumn (October). Required equipment and tools will be provided by MSC.
- Planting seeds, weeding, tending compost and rain barrels
- General garden maintenance
- Occasional special projects may arise
- General gardening and/or botany knowledge a plus, but not required
- Ability to follow instructions and safety guidelines
- Tasks may require kneeling, standing for extended periods or light lifting
Training: Provided by the Green Roof Steward prior to starting any projects or tasks.
Schedule: This is an on-going, as needed position. Opportunities to volunteer will be presented in advance. Volunteering opportunities will occur between the hours of 9:00am and 6:00pm. Groups of volunteers may also be considered for monthly volunteering sessions.
Please visit marylandsciencecenter.org for further information and application forms. All volunteers must submit an application; volunteer appointments are by interview only. All applicants (over the age of 18) must complete a background check and orientation session, prior to volunteering.
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Youth volunteer groups may be considered on a case-by-case basis (minimum age 14).
- Exhibits Shop Assistants: Help...
- Bus Greeter
- IMAX Theater Usher: Volunteer...
- Kids Room Educational Materials...
- Kids Room Educator: Teach, learn...
- Planetarium eBay Specialist
- SciLab Assistant: Help young...
- Green Roof Assistants
- Lobby Ambassador
- Exhibit Facilitators: Assist MSC...
- Ticket Agent
- Science Educators! Inspire the...
- Science Store Cashier
- Group Mailings: Help MSC stay...
- Observatory Assistant:Share your...
- Traveling Science Media...
- Exhibits Fabricators
- Kids Room Upkeep Assistants