Best Friends Animal Society partners with seven municipal shelter partners along the Wasatch Front in an effort to save underage kittens. Our goal is to save 1,500 kittens annually. The Kitten Nursery Caregiver Intern is responsible for assisting with animal care and volunteer coordination at the Best Friends Kitten Nursery. This intern should be prepared to be in a fast-paced emotional environment and will finish the internship having gained broad experience in coordinating volunteers, neonatal animal care, and the nonprofit animal welfare field.
Time Commitment/Internship Length:
A minimum of 30 hours per week. Interns must be able to possess flexibility of scheduling involving overnight shifts, early morning shifts, and mid-day shifts. The Kitten Nursery is open every day, 24 hours a day.
There are 3-month ($800 total stipend) and 6-month ($2,500 total stipend) positions available. Start dates are available from mid-March through mid-August 2018. Housing and other travel expenses are not provided.
- Under staff supervision, facilitates the daily feeding, cleaning, medical care, and enrichment of cats and kittens at the Kitten Nursery in accordance to Standard Operating Procedures. Reports any medical or behavioral concerns to Kitten Nursery staff.
- Assists with administering medications and providing treatment, including care for critical patients. This may include assisting in physical examinations, administering injections, oral medications, fluid therapy, syringe feeding, and tube feeding.
- Provides assistance to staff in working with the Foster Coordinator to ready kittens from the Kitten Nursery for placement in foster homes.
- Keeps animal records current, including intake paperwork, feeding charts, and medical logs.
- Assists in managing inventory of all Kitten Nursery supplies, ensuring all necessary supplies are stocked and available at all times.
- Expedites proper contamination and sanitation protocols in all areas of the Kitten Nursery as directed.
- Under staff supervision, maintains daily communication with and oversight of volunteers dedicated to the Kitten Nursery. Assists staff with training new volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you’ll gain from a Best Friends internship:
- Opportunity to work with one of the largest nonprofit animal welfare organizations and a leader in the no-kill movement.
- Hands on animal care with neonates, including experience with medicine administration (oral and topical), vaccines, vet exams, and subcutaneous fluids.
- Opportunity to learn about and work with other Best Friends programing including the Pet Adoption Center, Community Cats, and Spay and Neuter Clinics.
- Volunteer leadership training and mentorship experience.
- After a short training period, demonstrates ability to care for kittens and cats and follow contamination and animal care protocols.
- Ability to create and encourage a positive work environment. Demonstrates approachability when dealing with volunteers and staff.
- Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings, and perspectives of others.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Accurate, professional, clear, and concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to routinely lift up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including but not limited to: walking, bending, lifting, carrying, twisting, reaching, stooping, and squatting.
- Ability to effectively and safely handle cats and kittens of all temperaments and spend extensive periods of time with those animals in close quarters.
P lease submit cover letter and resume to SLCinternships@bestfriends.org or to Best Friends Animal Society, Attn: Internship Program, 2005 S 1100 E, Salt Lake City, UT, 84106.
- Animal Care / Handling
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- A minimum of 30 hours per week for 3 or 6 months
- Applicants required to attach resume and cover letter in email to SLCinternships@bestfriends.org