OneAmerica is recruiting tutors for their English Innovations Program in Kirkland, WA. Be part of a movement to advance immigrant integration in your community while strengthening your facilitation and leadership skills. All tutors will work one-on-one and in small groups to mentor and encourage students in gaining digital literacy skills as well as practicing spoken English.
- Tutor and mentor a small group of five students to help them see the class through fruition
- Assist adult immigrant learners one-on-one in class with English language and computer literacy skills
- Facilitate small group conversations
- Help facilitate in-class activities (with opportunities to lead lessons and create lesson plans)
- Conduct follow-up with students to encourage attendance and participation
- Provide information and referrals to students transitioning out of EI class
- Encourage and motivate learners via email and Skype outside of class
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Complete volunteer application and background check process
- Attend a 2-hour pre-service orientation, plus occasional ongoing volunteer training
- Interest in immigrant communities and sincere desire to support others in achieving their goals
- Ability to establish a relationship based on respect, with sensitivity to persons of different backgrounds
- Basic knowledge of technology (internet, email etc.) and digital literacy
- Previous tutoring experience a plus
- Ability to speak native language of students (Spanish, Arabic, Hmong, Vietnamese, Russian, Portuguese) a plus
Minimum weekly time commitment of one evening class session (2.5 hrs.) for 12-week duration of class cycle; Optional 30-60 min/weekly digital communication (Skype, Email) with students outside of class.
If you are interested in becoming an English Innovations Tutor, please email email@example.com.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1 evening class session (2.5 hrs.) per week