True Friends is a non-profit organization committed to providing amazing experiences for people with disabilities through camping, respite care, horse therapy, travel and even an award-winning wheelchair accessible high ropes challenge course!
We rely on volunteers to ensure we're providing the best care and programming for our clients. Your company can help True Friends and engage your employees at the same by making unique and super fun sensory bins. After your make the sensory bins you're welcome to drop items off at any of our camps, experience our campers in action and take a tour, or we can also arrange to pick up the items.
What is it?
A Sensory Bin is a container filled with any kind of tactile material that people with autism or other special needs explore with their hands. It allows them to use their sight, touch and smell to experience their environment in a totally new way. It's a great way for them to engage their senses, relax and manage their emotions
How to make sensory bins
- Choose a bin: Clear storage containers the best, measurements of 24″ long, 15″ wide and 6″ deep. Use what you have if you don’t have these exact measurements! We have used all sorts of sizes.
- Choose a filler: This includes include rice, colored sand, aquarium rocks, popcorn or birdseed.
- Add a scoop or shovel and container: A "dollar" is a good resource for inexpensive sand shovels or measuring cups! Funnels are fun to add, too.
- Theme: Add materials, like small toy trucks, pom-poms, animal figures, legos, marbles, pop bottle caps, small building blocks, etc. Of course Pinterest is a great resource for ideas! https://www.pinterest.com/explore/sensory-bins/
It’s a fantastic way for co-workers to interact in a fresh atmosphere, build a stronger team and give back to the community!
*We ask that groups cover any expenses involved with their project.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Employee Team Building --...
- Special Olympics MN Sports Camp
- Win/Win: Engage employees and...
- Camp Adventure - Youth...
- Employee Team Building
- Want Some Fun Corporate Team...
- Inspire Your Employees
- Engage Employees
- Summer Camp Youth Leadership...
- Corporate Volunteering
- Corporate Volunteer Opportunity!...
- Day Camp Volunteers