288 people are interested
Change Lives: Be an Adult Literacy Tutor
ORGANIZATION: Santa Monica Public Library
Please visit the new page to apply.
288 people are interested
This is an opportunity to make a significant difference in the lives of adults whose limited literacy is a challenge in their everyday life. Tutors are matched with an adult learner and work with them over an extended series of sessions to help them set and achieve their literacy goals.Responsibilities:
- Tutor an adult learner 1-2 times each week for 1.5-2 hour sessions at a Santa Monica Public Library location
- Create lessons to help adult learners reach their literacy goals
- Submit monthly time logs
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English proficiently and clearly
- Possess patience, flexibility, and excellent oral communication skills
- Must check email regularly and have basic computer and word processing skills
- Fingerprint clearance is required
- The City of Santa Monica currently requires all volunteers to show proof of COVID vaccination
- Age 18 or older
- Tutors will receive 10 hours of training
- All materials provided free of charge
- Individual assistance from literacy staff is available
- Satisfaction that you are changing lives
- Knowledge that you are enhancing the Library’s position in the community
- Learn to tutor, promote learning, and gain experience
- 6 months or more
- Tutors will be matched with a learner within 3 months of attending the training
Tutors will attend a 10-hour tutor training. Part of the training will be a self-paced online module and part of the training will be a hybrid between zoom and in-person.
Potential volunteers will go through an applicant screening and interview process. We regret that we will not be able to accept all tutor applicants into the program.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Santa Monica Public Library
601 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90401, US
The Public Library is dedicated to free and equal access to information, knowledge, independent lifelong learning, cultural enrichment, and the joys of reading for our diverse community.
Public libraries in California seek to engage the talents, skills and commitment of volunteers to serve the communities' information and literacy needs. Libraries offer a variety of skilled volunteer opportunities to make a meaningful contribution to library programs, operations, fundraising events and other community engagement functions. Skilled volunteers have opportunities to lead projects, work with teams of staff and volunteers, learn new skills, and have fun.
Main Library601 Santa Monica Blvd.Santa Monica, CA 90401
November 29, 2022
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Once or twice a week for 1.5-2 hours each session plus lesson prep time.