Training is onsite at Families First. Calls and/or texts are answered in the comfort of your home.
Provide a critical need to our Central Indiana community! Volunteer to take calls and/or texts from the convenience and comfort of your own home, from individuals in crisis. No prior training is necessary to volunteer!
Next training begins on September 26, 2017
It will be approximately 40 hours. This will be executed with six (6) workshops spread out over an 11-day period. Three of these trainings will take place on weekday evenings from 5:30-9:30pm with two additional full days on Saturday, 8:30-4:30pm and one on Friday, 8:15-4:30pm. NO EXPERIENCE FOR THIS POSITION IS REQUIRED. We ask that all potential volunteers are ready to learn, listen and practice empathy. The content of the workshops will cover active listening, how to guide callers to local resources, and basic skills for working a crisis hotline.
- Tuesday 9/26/17 5:30pm - 9:30pm Introduction to Families First and the Crisis & Suicide
Intervention Service (CSIS)
- Friday 9/29/17 8:15am - 4:30pm Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
Workshop Day 1*
- Saturday 9/30/17 8:30am - 4:30pm ASIST Workshop Day 2*
- Monday 10/2/17 5:30pm - 9:30pm CSIS Skills Training Part I
- Wednesday 10/4/17 5:30pm - 9:30pm CSIS Skills Training Part II
- Saturday 10/7/17 8:30am - 4:30pm CSIS Skills Training Part III
Note: A minimum of 10 participants must be enrolled for a CA Training to take place-spread the word! If you enroll in a training and the minimum number of participants is not met, we will contact you in advance and give you the opportunity to reschedule at a later training.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Two 3-hour sessions a week
- access to cell phone or computer with wifi