Web Application and Mobile App User Interface Designer Volunteer
Objective : To design a consistent user interface look for the ENGINE digital platform.
Proposed Level of effort: Approximately 10 remote days
Ideal Timeframe: April 2017
Background: Tanzania has one of the fastest growing economies in the world. With nearly 70 percent of the country’s labor force and a quarter of its GDP tied to agriculture, the US government, through its Feed the Future initiative, recognizes the high potential for stimulating inclusive, broad-based economic growth through support to the sector.
Based out of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania Enabling Growth through Investment and Enterprise (ENGINE) program is a four-year USAID-funded Feed the Future program awarded through the Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance (VEGA) that aims to streamline and enhance many of the regulatory, informational and financial channels that encourage domestic and foreign investment in the southern agricultural regions of Mbeya, Morogoro, and Iringa, and in Zanzibar.
ENGINE will focus at the district level, using a broad-based approach that works with district councils, private sector associations, business development service providers, financial institutions and micro, small and medium enterprises. The program’s activities are divided into three main components:
- Implement policies for growth. Build the capacity of the private sector to effectively dialogue with the government to set the policy agenda and improve the capacity of the public sector to implement policies.
- Equip businesses for growth. Strengthen SME capacity and foster the growth and capacity of a sustainable market for business development services (BDS) in Tanzania.
- Access to finance for growth. Broaden access to finance for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), specifically women and youth entrepreneurs and those working within agricultural value chains, to facilitate increased investment and growth.
Relevance: The ENGINE team is developing a digital platform that establishes market linkages between SMEs, BDS providers, and eventually, to financial institutions. The platform consists of a web-based system and a mobile application that are interlinked with a database for SMEs and BDS providers. ENGINE is seeking a Volunteer who has experience designing user interface controls, icons and visual elements for the mobile app and web applications.
Anticipated Task(s): Work with the ENGINE access to finance team development team (component three) to design user interface controls, icons and visual elements for the Mobile App, and web application.
While working with the component three lead, the volunteer will provide technical guidance on the design of the new UI/UX tools for the web application and mobile app including:
- Design the UI controls (Buttons, Menus, Text Fields);
- Design the overall style (theme) for the visual elements (Fonts, colors, graphics, images, icons, banners);
- Create a final pixel example page for a website and mobile app screen; and
- Submit the design output (wireframes, mockups) to the ENGINE team.
The ideal candidate for this volunteer opportunity will possess the following experience level:
- At least 3 years’ experience working as digital product designer, taking responsibility for all aspects of the user experience;
- Possess a portfolio full of appealing, well-thought-out interfaces that highlight your flair and attention-to-detail. Examples must include web and app designs that you have worked on.
- Expert proficiency and access to Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) / Sketch, Prototyping Tools e.g., Marvel, Invision, and Wireframing tools;
- Ability to turn complex business ideas into simple to understand and easy to use customer interfaces;
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in cross-cultural settings;
- Patience, flexibility, and an open mind will be highly advantageous;
- University degree in related discipline is preferred.
- Web Design / UX
- Mobile Programming
- Software Development
- Information Architecture
- Website Programming
- Web Design
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18