The Portland Japanese Garden is renowned as the most authentic and finest Japanese garden outside of Japan. Founded in 1963 and nestled in Washington Park above Downtown Portland, the Garden is one of the most important Japanese cultural institutions in North America. Over 300,000 visitors come to the Garden annually to participate in its art, cultural and educational programs.
The Garden is accepting volunteer applications for volunteer positions in our Gift Shop.
These Retail volunteers will support Gift Shop staff by greeting customers and providing information about store products. Volunteers will also assist staff with organizing, stocking, wrapping, and stickering products from Japan.
Retail Volunteers should be outgoing, friendly, and possess strong customer service skills.
Training for this program will be ongoing
Retail volunteers will be asked to commit to two 3 hour shift per month for a period no shorter than one year. Weekend and weekday shifts are available.
- Portland Japanese Garden volunteers are required to be Garden members and as such receive the benefits of membership.
- Admission to the Garden during public and Member-Only hours
- 20% discount when purchasing additional admissions tickets.
- 10% discount at the Garden Gift Shop
- Early access to tickets and reservations
- Free/discounted admission to Garden Lectures
- Access to Members-Only Events
- Discounted admission to Garden workshops
- Free/discounted admission to Garden Exhibitions and Festivals.
- Tripod fee waived
- Subscription to The Garden Path Newsletter
- 20% discount at Bamboo Sushi
- Free admission to the Lan Su Chinese Garden in November
- Induction into Oregon’s Volunteer Passport Program
- Annual complimentary Washington Park volunteer parking pass awarded after 15 hours of service each year.
- Continuing education and annual volunteer appreciation events.
To apply: Please complete the online volunteer application. https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=1291363320 or contact our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com
Details regarding other volunteer programs at Portland Japanese Garden can be found at https://japanesegarden.org/volunteers/
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Retail / Sales
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Two 3 hour shifts per month