The Portland Japanese Garden is renowned as the most authentic and finest Japanese garden outside of Japan. Founded in 1963 and nestled in Washington Park above Downtown Portland, the Garden is one of the most important Japanese cultural institutions in North America. Over 300,000 visitors come to the Garden annually to participate in its art, cultural and educational programs.
The Garden is now accepting volunteer applications for a new position - the Village Concierge.
The Village Concierge is the first point of contact for guests entering the Garden. Located seated at a desk on the main floor of the Garden House, the Concierge will greet visitors, provide information regarding Garden events, tours and exhibitions, and orient people to Washington Park, and NW Portland. The Concierge will also be asked to answer the Garden’s main telephone line, and greet our VIP guests and direct them to the Executive Offices in the Village.
Applicants should possess strong customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills. As well as basic computer skills. A familiarity with Washington Park and its venues and with NW Portland is ideal, but not required.
Training for this program is ongoing.
The Village Concierge will be asked to commit to one 3.5 or 4 four hour shift per week for a period no shorter than one year. Weekend and weekday shifts are available.
To apply: Please complete the online volunteer application. https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=1291363320 or contact our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Details regarding other volunteer programs at Portland Japanese Garden can be found at https://japanesegarden.org/volunteers/
- Portland Japanese Garden volunteers are required to be members of the Garden and as such receive the benefits of membership.
- Admission to the Garden during public and Member-Only hours
- 20% discount when purchasing additional admissions tickets.
- 10% discount at the Garden Gift Store
- Early access to tickets and reservations
- Free/discounted admission to Garden Lectures
- Access to Members-Only Events
- Discounted admission to Garden workshops
- Free/discounted admission to Garden Exhibitions and Festivals.
- Tripod fee waived
- Subscription to The Garden Path Newsletter
- 20% discount at Bamboo Sushi
- Free admission to the Lan Su Chinese Garden in November
- Induction into Oregon’s Volunteer Passport Program
- Annual complimentary Washington Park volunteer parking pass awarded after 15 hours of service each year.
- Continuing education and annual volunteer appreciation events.
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- One 3.5 to 4 hour shift per week.