Village Hosts are the first point of contact for visitors entering the Japanese Garden. They welcome visitors, provide information and answer questions. Village Hosts applicants must be at least 18 years or older and should possess strong customer service, communication and problem solving skills.
- Roam the Cultural Village and Bonsai Terrace to welcome and orient visitors to the Garden and Washington Park.
- Assist Visitor Services staff in enforcing Garden etiquette.
- Advertise Garden events, tours and exhibitions to visitors.
- Promote Garden membership.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Volunteer Handbook
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
- Adhere to Garden Dress Code and wear a happi coat and volunteer name badge.
- Outgoing, friendly, and positive personality.
- The ability to work effectively with people of diverse nationalities, ages, and backgrounds.
- 2-3 years of customer service experience.
- Comfortable using Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Familiarity with Washington Park and NW Portland.
- Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for extended periods and be able to physically navigate all the pathways in the Garden.
- This is an unpaid volunteer position.
- Volunteer shifts are typically 3 hours in length. Shifts are available from 10-4pm on Tuesdays-Sundays and 12-4pm on Mondays.
- We ask Village Hosts to commit to at least one shift per week through October 31st.
To apply, please email a resume (no more than one page) and a short message about why you would like to volunteer as a Village Host to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Customer Service
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours per week from March 13th to October 31st
- Standing for prolonged periods, walking up and down steps, navigating pathways