The Brawlin' Betties of Mission City Roller Derby are always looking to train on-skates referrees (Refs) and non-skating officials (NSOs) as a part of our Derby Justice League (DJL). This volunteer organization helps at practices once a week during the season, and is instrumental to staging our games, or bouts, according to the rules of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association. We have 5 skaters on the track at a time, but need up to 14 officials and refs to make each bout happen! If you enjoy it and become proficient, there are even opportunities to officiate at national tournaments and conventions in addition to local events all over the state, country, and world! This could be big!
The main perks for being a volunteer with us are:
- Learn about the NEW roller derby game
- Represent the league at community and charity events
- The larger our league becomes, the more we can do for our community
- Learn to skate, improve your skills - or don't skate. It's okay.
- We skate on old school quad skates
- Test the water to see if you're interested in playing
- Wear a shirt that reads DERBY JUSTICE LEAGUE
- Become a part of the amazing Brawlin' Betties family and feel the Derby Love!
- Outdoor Recreation
- Problem Solving
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- approx. 2 hrs Tuesday nights & 5 Saturday events
- Season runs about 6-7 months during the year. Next home bout is Sept 30!