Join Left Forum’s Publicity and Outreach team comprised of individuals who have an interest in expanding the voices of social justice and progressive communities.
This volunteer opportunity merges research, analysis, editorial, and administration work with high-level forms of planning and promotional outreach to noted scholars and organizers from around the world. The volunteer will be tasked with brainstorming, implementing, and following through on new ideas to bolster conference participation and coverage. This position provides a great opportunity to develop public relations skills and allows for unique opportunities to creatively engage various teams, individuals, and organizations.
We’re a small organization with a dedicated group of organizers, staff and interns with a passion for social justice, community organizing, and progressive change. Located in the CUNY Graduate Center, you’ll be working in an interesting (and very relaxed) office where you’ll interact, meet, and learn from scholars, activists, authors and artists in a rewarding intellectual political milieu.
- Develop and execute media outreach and publicity promotional strategies
- Work with publicity contacts in medium- and large-scale organizations (e.g., schools) for posting and expanding publicity materials (leaflets, brochures, posters)
- Update and organize our publicity/public relations and press contacts database
- Assist with mailings, print production, and other administrative duties
- Engage in outreach to scholars, organizations, under-represented progressive and social justice groups and individuals
- Engage in building and developing relationships with the groups and individuals mentioned above
- Engage former speakers, organizers, and activists in email and phone communications along with in-person meetings
- Help administer all phases of event planning and organizing from initial contact to conference and event scheduling
Background and Experience
- Passion for grassroots organizing and social justice
- Excellent research, writing, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively both individually and in a team
- Confidence in interpersonal communications and outreach
- Coursework in communications, public relations, or marketing is helpful
- Proficiency with MS Office and Google Docs
- Interest in politics and political analysis is a plus
We ask for 8-10+ hours a week, although any amount of volunteer time will help. Hours are flexible and can be adapted to fit your schedule. We also ask for a minimum of a three month commitment. This volunteer position is most beneficial when carried out through the entire conference cycle (which ends in mid-June). A modicum of computer skills is desired. Volunteer opportunities begin immediately.
About Left Forum:
Left Forum is the largest annual progressive conference in the country. Also engaged in a range of events throughout the year, the Forum brings together thousands of conference and event participants to discuss pressing local, national, and global issues; to better understand commonalities and differences, as well as alternatives to current predicaments; or to share ideas to help build social movements. Speakers at the New York City events include Noam Chomsky, Angela Davis, Harry Belafonte, Arundhati Roy, Naomi Klein, Michael Moore, Cornel West, Bolivian Vice President Álvaro García Linera, Kshama Sawant, Amy Goodman, Slavoj Žižek, Grace Lee Boggs, Marina Sitrin and Immortal Technique.
Please send a cover letter and/or resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Project Management
- Public Relations
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment