Database Management Systems Volunteer
Duration of Assignment: The anticipated level of effort is for two months. The optimal timeline for delivery is March to April 2017.
Objective: IESC is seeking a hands-on volunteer with database design and development experience to support our program in Tanzania. The ideal volunteer will have the experience base necessary to design a database management system capable of collecting and analyzing the data generated by public sector surveys results on behalf of umbrella organizations that represent 188 local government offices in the Tanzanian mainland and 11 local government offices on the island of Zanzibar.
Background : The Tanzania Enabling Growth through Investment and Enterprise (ENGINE) program is a four-year USAID-funded Feed the Future program awarded through the Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance (VEGA) that aims to streamline and enhance many of the regulatory, informational , and financial channels that encourage domestic and foreign investment in the southern agricultural regions of Mbeya, Morogoro, and Iringa, and in Zanzibar.
ENGINE will focus at the district level, using a broad-based approach that works with district councils, private sector associations, business development service providers, financial institutions , and micro, small and medium enterprises. The program’s activities are divided into three main components:
1. Implement policies for growth. Build the capacity of the private sector to effectively dialogue with the government to set the policy agenda and improve the capacity of the public sector to implement policies.
2. Equip businesses for growth. Strengthen SME capacity and foster the growth and capacity of a sustainable market for business development services (BDS) in Tanzania.
3. Access to finance for growth. Broaden access to finance for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), specifically women and youth entrepreneurs and those working within agricultural value chains, to facilitate increased investment and growth.
Relevance: ENGINE has designed a competiveness survey that will measure the public sector’s provision of services to businesses in the districts that the program operates in.
ENGINE plans to commission a volunteer assignment to design a database management system that will facilitate data collection, validation, analysis, segmentation, scoring, updating and presentation for the comparison of and ranking of local government performance.
- Design a database management system to collect, validate, rank, performance data related to private sector performance submitted annually by local government offices in Tanzania.
- Design data entry forms and requests to support the implementation of the database system.
- Outline a database management training manual.
- Train and build the capacity of local government counterparts who are responsible for the operation, management, and maintenance of the database management system.
- Present data management update.
IESC is seeking a volunteer with the following qualifications:
* University degree in IT (Master’s degree will be an added advantage).
* Data Management Certificate and 5+ years "hands-on" experience can be substituted for a university degree.
* Solid training in database management system operation and maintenance, and in building the capacity of database management system staff.
* 3 - 5 years of directly-related, database management system maintenance and training experience.
* Prior experience maintaining a database management system.
* Experience in the use of scripting languages (eg. PHP, AJAX, Java Script).
* Self-motivated, proactive, detail-oriented, mature, easy-going, professional team player, who is a strong people person and communicator, with good inter-personal skills.
* Ability to address issues, questions, concerns and problems in a professional, accurate and timely manner.
* Works well in a multi-cultural setting.
- SQL / MySQL
- Database Administration
- IT Consulting
- Security / Network Administration
- PC Platform
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 2 months