Help teach vocational English class to serve pre-employment authorized Haitian clients. Topics include improving English and communication skills to obtain employment, job search and job retention techniques, orientation to the American workplace, financial literacy and life skills. The volunteer will assist students in completing in-class tasks, including computer work and group activities.
- Related teaching experience is welcome, but training will be provided.
- Bilingual--English and Haitian-Creole or French
JVS’s Refugee Services has provided direct employment services to local refugee populations for over 40 years. These services are offered to refugees, political asylees, Cuban and Haitian entrants, certified victims of human trafficking, and other work-authorized immigrants. Services include job search assistance, resume and interview preparation, cultural orientation, pre-employment vocational English language classes, job placement and follow-up, and post-employment support. Over 80% of our participants are hired per year and our 90% job retention rate is higher than similar job placement agencies in Boston. To achieve these outcomes, JVS partners with over 1,400 employers in hospitality, retail, agriculture, education, health care, sales, manufacturing, and business; and supports participants in finding and maintaining gainful employment that can lead to successful careers.
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours per week, 3 month minimum
- Bilingual English/Haitian-Creole...
- ESOL Teaching Assistant,...
- Outreach help needed for new...
- Computer tutor for students in...
- ESOL teaching assistants for...
- Career Coach Assistant, East...
- ESOL Teaching Assistant, Lynn
- Teaching assistant for...
- Teach ESOL class for Haitian...
- Career Coach Assistant, Lawrence