All American Assistance Dogs (AAADogs) provides service dogs for veterans with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), traumatic brain injuries (TBI) or similar injuries. We provide these dogs at virtually no charge to the veteran. We are an all-volunteer organization to be able to use our funds towards obtaining and training the service dogs-in-training. We start training the dogs as puppies and that is where we need your help.
The dogs initially live in foster homes for approximately 7 months. We provide the dog, the food, dog bed, leash, medical care, etc. We need your help-your time and home to raise the dog and take the puppy to initial training classes in Federal Way (that AAADogs pays for).
What makes a great foster home?
A home where dogs are welcome. 55+? - That’s fine.
- A foster family that has a dog or has had dogs previously. Cats or other house pets OK too.
- Where the family is comfortable raising a well-trained dog.
- The dog would not be left alone more than 3 hours a day. Like any young puppy or child, they need alot of supervision ad interaction to grow and thrive.
- The foster family will be very affectionate to the foster puppy-50% of raising a great service dog is lots of love and affection while a young puppy.
- The foster family would be comfortable taking the puppy out socially-to the park, taking walks, to the community center, farmers market, etc. so that the puppy is exposed to as many different settings and people as possible by the time the puppy is 4 months old (this is the other 50% factor in raising a great service dog).
- Is comfortable having the paired veteran and his/her family visit the puppy several hours one day a week in your home to ensure that the puppy and the veteran bond.
- AAADogs provides guidance, training and assistance to enable you to feel comfortable with raising the puppy and answering all of your questions. The trainer will visit you and the puppy most weeks to make sure all your questions or problems are addressed. She is also available whenever you have questions.
More information on our website www.aaadogs.org under the section for volunteering - I want to foster a puppy. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. or call 206-601-3254 for further information Thank you for considering this volunteer opportunity
- Veteran Care
- Animal Care / Handling
- Animal Therapy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Must be able to raise/ house dog for 7 months
- Have a dog friendly home (dog will grow to 75 plus pounds), yard or similar, affectionate