The Wyck Association seeks friendly, enthusiastic history-lovers to volunteer as tour guides!
Host tours of our unique historic property during open hours once a week on either Thursdays, Fridays, or Saturdays from 12:00pm-4:00pm. Or more if it suits you! This volunteer position offers great flexibility and will work with your schedule.
Our complete open season extends from April 5th, 2018 through November 17th, 2018 but length of time involved is flexible (i.e you could be a spring, summer, or fall docent).
Wyck is a National Historic Landmark house, garden, and farm in the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia that served as the ancestral home to one Philadelphia family for nine generations (1690-1973). Here, traditional Quaker culture blended with a passion for innovation. The people who lived and worked at Wyck expressed these values through their commitment to education, horticulture, natural history, and preservation. wyck.org
- Show the first floor of the house consisting of a front parlor, vestibule, conservatory, library, dining room, and pantry and their associated collection items.
- Highlight certain of our most prominent pieces, such as our famous Strickland folding doors, Ben Franklin Chair, Women of Wyck, and portrait of Reuben Haines III by Rembrandt Peale, but tours are flexible in that each volunteer can speak on what they find most interesting about the house/family/collections.
- Speak about the Wyck Rose Garden and our farm, but docents are, generally, not required to walk the grounds. Most guests explore the grounds in a self-guided aspect.
- Fill out a simple guest log for each group that comes to the house during open hours. This log is used for Wyck to track visitation and not used to evaluate the guide.
- In the summer months, docents should dress comfortably and be prepared for the heat associated with an historic home.
- Guides are asked to cover at least one weekly shift during our open hours on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, but we are open to varied scheduling needs.
- The house is open from 12-4, the docent allowing for approximately half hour before and after the shift for opening and closing of the house. (11:30am-4:30pm)
- Being a docent at Wyck is a chance to become part of the vibrant Historic Germantown community, and tell some unique stories.
To learn more: about Wyck Historic House, Garden, and Farm, visit: http://wyck.org/
Send resume and/or letter of interest describing related experience or why Wyck appeals to you to Wyck’s Development and Programs Manager, Mariel Rosati, firstname.lastname@example.org, 215-848-1690.
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Public Speaking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 4 to 12 hrs/wk based on availability & preference