The Falls Church Volunteer Fire Department (FCVFD) seeks candidates for the position of Development Director. The person selected for this role will report to the President and be responsible for the planning and management of the Department’s fundraising programs. This position offers an ideal opportunity for an experienced fundraiser or a young professional in the fundraising field to volunteer their skills in support of the FCVFD’s mission to preserve life and property in the communities we serve.
- Develop a comprehensive development plan for the Department and establish annual fundraising goals.
- Collaborate with the Treasurer to measure results of fundraising campaigns, and analyze metrics to make adjustments to the development plan as necessary.
- Develop relationships with corporate and individual donors in the communities served by the FCVFD.
- Maintain and enhance the Department’s donor database.
- Manage direct mail fundraising appeals in coordination with the Treasurer.
- Create a satisfying and rewarding donor experience through regular engagement.
- Recruit and manage volunteers to assist with Department fundraising activities.
- Other duties as assigned by the President.
- Commitment to uphold the highest ethical standards and always act in the best interest of the Department and the people we serve.
- Experience in:
- Fundraising for a nonprofit organization.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with corporate and individual donors.
- Utilizing various fundraising mechanisms including online (social media and email), text messaging, direct mail and special events.
- Writing content for direct fundraising appeals on various platforms.
- Proficiency in building and maintaining an electronic donor database.
- Creativity to develop new opportunities to engage and reward donors.
- Ability to take initiative with minimal direction and work cooperatively with Department officers and trustees.
- A desire to support the mission of the FCVFD to aid in the preservation of life and property.
- This is an administrative position - no fire or emergency medical services experience is required.
The work schedule for this position is flexible. The selected candidate will be expected to assist with special events that occur throughout the year - primarily on evenings and weekends.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Qualified applicants will be selected to participate in an interview. The candidate selected for the role will be subject to a vote of the FCVFD membership and a criminal background check.
About the FCVFD
Founded in 1925, the Falls Church Volunteer Fire Department is comprised of dedicated and certified volunteer firefighters and emergency medical technicians who provide emergency medical services, major incident and special event support, and fire prevention education for the people of Falls Church and Arlington County.
The FCVFD is a public charity that utilizes the generous donations of businesses and individuals in our community to train and equip our members to aid in the preservation of life and property. Learn more about our Department and the ways you can support our mission by visiting our website at www.fallschurchfire.org.
- Database Administration
- Donor Management
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Grant Writing / Research
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- At least five hours per month