WhoWhatWhy, an up-and-coming non-profit investigative and analytical news site that specializes in responsibly tackling the many subjects and stories the mainstream media shies away from, is looking for talented, reliable, motivated individuals to join our volunteer Editorial Operations Team. We don't promote a partisan angle or push predictable views. We do dig deep, think hard, read a lot of history, ask a lot of questions, steer clear of establishment or consensus journalism, and write up what we find with verve. It's interesting, cool, and meaningful work.
As a member of the Editorial Operations Team, you will assist in the day-to-day coordination and project management of the editorial content (articles, blog posts, audio podcast, video, and newsletter) on WhoWhatWhy. The ideal candidate will have some project management experience in tracking tasks, building timelines, and managing many different projects at once. If you have a degree in English, Journalism, or a related field, and/or a strong news sense and are highly organized, enjoy reading, writing, and possess a knack for details, then this is an excellent opportunity for you!
Please be aware that this is a volunteer position. You will find the work gratifying and find your colleagues to be talented and supportive.
- Manage a production calendar to ensure timely delivery of all editorial content
- Make daily and weekly queries, via email and phone, to authors and reviewers to ensure that schedules are maintained.
- Coordinate with senior editors, writers, posting team, and images team to resolve editorial deadline issues.
- Assist with the drafting of a research plan for the writer.
- Troubleshoot with the technical team/Editorial Manager with any posting issues.
- Manage and track communication between senior editors and writer before an article is published on WWW’s website
- Track all potential editorial content submissions through multiple cycles of review to established turnaround times, follow up, and escalate delays.
- Ensure all editorial content (articles, blogs, videos, audio podcast, and newsletter) is adhered to WWW’s standard checklist and is finished in a timely manner according to the production schedule.
- Assist in the ongoing development, documentation, and execution of policies and procedures for the Editorial Operations group to ensure the highest level of quality possible.
- Collaborate with other editorial coordinators to keep projects on schedule and escalate to the Editorial Manager as needed
- We’re seeking someone with at least two years of journalistic experience or a demonstrably strong sense of how a newsroom or other comparable enterprise works.
- Highly organized and meticulous individual with a very strong command of syntax and style (good writing and editing skills are crucial).
- Experience using WordPress.
- Interest in and knowledge of news and current events necessary.
- Effective organizational skills, and ability to juggle multiple responsibilities and shifting priorities.
- Be a demonstrated self-starter with the ability to work successfully in a team environment and independently to meet deadlines and complete duties.
- Excellent communications skills (oral, listening, and written).
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Six hours a week or more
- Highly organized, self-motivated, high English proficiency
- Apprentice Reporter
- Volunteer Manager
- Project Manager
- Social Media Content Manager
- Volunteer HR Manager
- HR Recruiter
- Investigate Threats to Democracy
- Apprentice Editor
- Marketing Representative
- HR Assistant (New York Base Only)
- Join Our Editorial Operations Team
- Recruiter with experience in...
- JFK Assassination Records...
- Business Analyst
- Social Media Marketing Strategist
- Operations Manager
- Experience Like No Other —...