College Bound, a program of BGCP, is a family-based college counseling program for low-income youth who will be the first-generation to attend college. This multi-year program provides structured, personalized college admissions support to students and their parents through high school graduation, as well as ongoing guidance during college.
Apply here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf8X1QZQkX3X-WkOMOq7RahapwXHBK9KD-tkBpsH45Vpti5IA/viewform
(More information listed below)
As a College Coach your role is to provide support and guidance for your student. Senior year deadlines are fast and furious, and students often need another caring adult (in addition to College Bound staff) to help them persevere.
Here are some examples of the support that College Coaches provide to their students:
- Help students identify what matters to them in a college
- Support students to research and apply to the best-fit colleges
- Help students edit their college and scholarship essays
- Support college application and financial aid process
- Help to ease anxiety and fears about being able to "make it" in college
We ask College Coaches to make a one-year commitment beginning in June of each year. This can extend into the college years if both student and College Coach mutually agree to continue the partnership. We advise College Coaches to plan on spending one hour per week working with their students, though some weeks could be heavier/lighter. Meeting times are flexible; students and Coaches will find the best days and times to connect during office hours (typically 5pm-8pm).
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Youth Services
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour a week for a year
- Spanish-Speaking Tutors Needed...
- Volunteer Youth Academic Tutors...
- Become a College Bound Mentor!
- Help Kids with Homework!
- Bilingual Classroom Support...
- Tutor Elementary Math & Literacy...
- After-School Homework Tutor for...
- Volunteer with the Boys and...
- After-School Tutor for Local...
- College Mentor for Boys and...
- 1-1 Tutors Needed (Once a Week)