The Richmond Museum of History is located in the heart of downtown Richmond and is proud to be the oldest organization in West Contra Costa County dedicated to preserving local history. The Richmond Museum of History is housed in a Carnegie Library and owns the most significant collection of historical material and documents in the local area. The permanent collection was established in 1950 and is comprised of a variety of materials including textiles, fine art, archaeological collections, historical artifacts, documents, photographs.
The Museum staff is small but what we lack in capacity, we far make up for in enthusiasm and love for our work. The Richmond Museum of History is currently transitioning from a grassroots, volunteer lead effort to a professional nonprofit lead by academically trained staff. The staff is working to reinvigorate the museum, gain new support within the community and seeks to become more relevant to the modern residents of Richmond. Join us!
The Richmond Museum of History seeks volunteers to help with docenting, public programs, and events in the community. While the museum has been in Richmond for over sixty years, we are recently emerging as an important component to the develpment of Richmond as a cultural destination. The museum is administered by a small nonprofit with enthusiastic staff who need help to create and implement dynamic public programs that are relevant to everyone in our diverse East Bay community. The museum specifically needs help to greet guests during open hours (Wed - Sun 1-4PM), as well as helping with special events taking place at 2:00 on Saturdays.
While volunteers from all backgrounds are welcome, we highly desire people of color and spanish speaking volunteers to help us reflect the diversity in our community. Please help us make the Richmond Museum of History, your community museum, a great place to visit and learn!
- Event Management
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 2-6 hours per month
- People of Color and Spanish language skills highly desired
- Docent on the SS Red Oak Victory
- Discover Mysteries in the Museum!
- Information Technology Technician
- Help your community history...
- Public Programs Volunteer
- Help us keep our Museum beautiful!
- Costume & Textile Collection...
- Marketing Positions for SS Red...
- Photography Collection Volunteer
- Carpenter for Local History Museum
- Volunteer Recruiting On The SS...
- Deck Department On The SS Red...
- Electrician on SS Red Oak Victory
- Greeter on SS Red Oak Victory
- Architectural Historian
- Help our community museum...
- Rose Garden Crew
- Steward on SS Red Oak Victory
- Local History Museum Marketing...
- Volunteer Retail Associate on...