The Boston Community Gardens is looking for enthusiastic people to work with visitors and guests during public events in the Greater Boston area.. The Boston Community Gardens host a variety of public programs throughout the year. Because these programs attract numerous visitors, Program Assistants play a vital role in providing a quality visitor experience.
The Boston Region includes a total of 60 special places; 56 Community Gardens 4 reservations. With 215,000 annual visitors, the Community Gardens portfolio has a huge impact on the profile of the Trustees in Boston. The Gardens are living, growing refuges in otherwise built, urban neighborhoods. They are gathering spaces in their communities, providing people with access to fresh food and a direct connection to the earth.
Boston Community Gardens and South End/Lower Roxbury Engagement Site Managers
Time Commitment Needed:
Flexible, both one time (large event) and more regular opportunities available. Events take place in any one of our 56 gardnes-most are accessible by public transportation.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist Engagement Site Managers with programming designed for adults, families, and children
- Provide an excellent experience for members, visitors, and their families
- Support staff during large events including the annual South End Garden Tour, Boston Local Food Festival, and Boston Agricultural Expo
- Work independently or as a team with other volunteers and staff
- Educate visitors and guests about The Trustees and the Boston Community Gardens
- Work with fellow volunteers and staff to plan and execute special events and programming as needed
- Report volunteer hours in the Hands on Connect database in a timely fashion
- An interest in learning about the Boston Community Gardens and sharing that knowledge with visitors
- Interest in talking to and working with the public
- Ability to calculate correct change for simple transactions
- Friendly and polite demeanor
- Comfort in citing rules for games and activities
- Must be comfortable working outdoors in a variety of weather conditions for extended periods of time
- Desire to be an ambassador for the Boston Community Gardens in the Greater Boston community
- Event Management
- People Skills
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Flexible commitment
- Must be able to provide own transportation-gardens are accessible by public transportation
- Program Assistants-Fruitlands
- Historical Interpreter - The Old...
- Membership Assistant-Boston Office
- The Old Manse Event Assistants
- Wayside Visitor Center...
- Public Program Assistants:...
- Spend your Morning at a Farm!
- Cheese Ambassador-Boston Public...
- Kitchen Assistant, Boston Public...
- Harvest Assistant-Chestnut Hill...
- Program Assistants-Boston...
- CSA Distribution...