Twice a month, Fair Foods and Manet Community Health Center distribute $2 bags of mixed produce to people in our local community. The program encourages healthy eating and alleviates food insecurity by offering a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables at a very affordable price. Each bag contains approximately 12 lbs of produce. Familys can purchase as many bags as they need and there are no income restrictions or requirements. Everyone is welcome.
Reliable, team-oriented individuals are needed to assist in preparation, packaging and distributing fresh produce for community consumers participating in the Manet/Fair Foods program. Volunteers will:
- assist with setup and breakdown of food prep tables
- unload donated produce and items from the vehicle upon arrival
- sort and organize produce for bag assembly
- ensure the sorting area is safe by maintaining clear walkways and exits (store boxes outside of walking space, pick up trash, etc.)
- work with team (assembly line fashion) to package produce for consumers (fill bags)
- use correct body mechanics while lifting heavy items
- assist with cleanup of areas used during preparation and distribution
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Commitment to supporting diverse individuals in a community health center setting.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs of weight several times during the shift.
- Good mobility required for standing, bending and reaching etc.
- Ability and willingness to work in a team environment.
Orientation and training provided.
- People Skills
- Cantonese / Mandarin
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 3-4 hours twice a month, every other Wednesday
- Some lifting required, standing