Project Hawai'i, Inc., is a nonprofit organization run 100% by volunteers and solely supported by public donations. Our summer educational program is open free of charge for homeless children from 3-7 years old. Our mission is to help these children learn life and social skills that will help them succeed in school. By doing that we provide a well-rounded structured program and seeking volunteers who would like to share their talents/projects with our children.
Share YOUR Talent guests provide the opportunity for our little ones to experience a wide variety of life skills otherwise outside of their financial reach. Most of the children do not have the basic skills of painting, playing table activities, or other simple crafts we would expect. Our children live in a poverty stricken environment and usually don't have access to even a table, or sit in a chair, let alone bathe or eat properly... so all experiences are new for them.
Our camp is hosted at Kalopa State Park in Honoka'a, approx. 30 minutes outside of Hilo or 20 minutes from Waimea, about 1.2 hours from Kona side
Our guests have their choice of a beautiful outdoor lawn area, outdoor pavilion with picnic style bench tables, or indoors at a NOISY multi-purpose room with tables and chairs, or can be emptied for floor projects.
Guests will need to provide all their supplies for their projects. Animals are FORBIDDEN in the natural reserve, so live animal projects are not available.
To participate we are asking that each volunteer be able to provide the following:
* 2 - 3 hour program morning 9:00-12:00 or afternoon 1:00-4:00
* Provide the products/items needed to fulfill your project (we do have simple supplies but will need a list prior to the camp). We will also provide you with items that DON'T work at our camp due to the climate, etc. We have 24 little one's, 8 jr leaders and up to 10 teen mentors.
* Assure that your program/project is appropriate for children 3-7 (typically K-1 is fine)
* Provide a healthy snack (fresh fruit / veggies is perfect) and 100% juice box for the campers (40 snacks) We strive to be 100% NON-GMO and organic when possible!!
We do have an application form I can send you with all your details.
Current dates open are July 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th.
- This does qualify as community service, and we do provide practicum hours for those who need as well.
- Volunteer age groups are open to college students, or those 21 or older. (subject to background check). Mothers with children are welcome as long as the child is a "help" and not a distraction from the projects success.
- Limited to a small handful of volunteers per activity. NO LARGE GROUPS
- We have two time slots open per day.
- For those who are interested in being a general camp helper, please also inquire about those opportunities.
#helpthehomelesskeiki #volunteer #volunteerhawaii #summercamp #volunteerwithchildren #communityservice #servicelearning #help #love #care #summerservice #lovecrafts #loveart #artist #crafters
- Music Arts
- Youth Services
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 3 hours
- Must be able to provide supplies and be at Kalopa State Park