Purpose: Front Desk and Bookstore volunteers represent Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge to the public who visit the refuge's Visitor Center. Volunteers answer the public's questions and assist them in the Bookstore.
Location: Islands & Ocean Visitor Center- HOMER, AK
● Greet visitors
● Answer visitors' questions about Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge, wildlife, plants, and general information about the area
● Assists visitors with finding and purchasing items in the bookstore
● Starts the refuge orientation film
● Restocks and organizes the bookstore
● Counts the number of visitors
● Checks in and out binoculars, fishing gear and backpacks
● May perform some administrative duties which can be done at the front desk
● Other duties as assigned
Reports to: The Visitor Services Manager and/or Volunteer Coordinator
Time Commitment: One day per week for 2.5 hours (12:00-2:30 or 2:30-5:00).
Qualifications: Pleasant manner, patience, problem-solving ability, dependability, a general knowledge of the area, wildlife and habitats. Basic knowledge of a computer.
Support: Training for the position will be provided. In addition the volunteer always has the support of staff to help answer difficult questions and provide assistance. There is CPR/AED (Automated External Defibrillator) and First Aid training available for those interested.
Age Requirement: None
Dress Code: A uniform shirt will be provided.
- Office Reception
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Retail / Sales
- Customer Service
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training