Learn to Ride is a class we teach for adult and youth learners, and is one of our most popular classes during the spring, summer and fall! Volunteers work with staff and other volunteers to teach our Learn to Ride curriculum, offer encouragement, and help make class a supportive learning environment. As a continuation of the Learn to Ride class, this program offers ongoing practice as well as riding and handling instruction. These are fun, slow, no-drop rides aimed at building skills and confidence, and a love of biking.
SKILLS: Instructors are required to have attended a Learn-to-Ride Train-The-Trainer training to become comfortable and well-versed in our curriculum. Has experience Riding in Traffic, trained in teaching safe cycling to new to bikersCOMMITMENT: Classes are usually held once a week for a month (4-6 classes); Instructors are asked to attend all classes in a session, and be involved for at least 2 sessions. Additional rides are usually held once a week; leaders are asked to commit to leading 1 ride a week (initially with the help of staff) 2hrs weekly, 1 month duration minimum.
- Help plan the route with staff and/or riders and co-lead a group of new riders
- Ensure the group stays together and no one is left behind
- Focus on teaching road skills during the session, while having fun
- Bike Mechanics / Repair
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hour/week for 1 month
- 5K Volunteers Needed!
- Kids in Kayaking Program Volunteer
- Learn to Ride Assistant
- Chinquapin Playground Clean Up
- Greeter and Gift Shop Assistant...
- Conservatory Shows and Events
- Biking Facilitators and Greeters
- Community Bike Ride Leaders
- Community Garden Day!
- Volunteer Bike Mechanics
- Monthly Gwynns Falls Trail Clean...