The Need in the Community
Every day, nail salon workers handle solvents, glues, polishes and other products containing chemicals known or suspected to cause cancer, allergies, respiratory, neurological and reproductive harm. These workers report acute health concerns such as headaches, dizziness, rashes and breathing difficulties. Most nail salon workers are women of reproductive age and are predominately Vietnamese immigrants, often with limited English skills. In California, there are over 312,000 cosmetologists who are licensed to provide both hair and nail services and over 129,000 licensed manicurists.
Who We are
California Healthy Nail Salon Collaborative (Collaborative: www.cahealthynailsalons.org) is a statewide coalition of nearly 30 organizations (advocates, environmentalists, researchers, government agencies) whose mission is to make the nail salon industry safer and healthier for both workers and consumers. The Collaborative was founded by Asian Health Services ( www.asianhealthservices.org).
There is a lot of fear and anxiety on how this current federal administration will impact reproductive and environmental justice, workers’ rights, immigrants’ rights for both documented and undocumented folks, and for workplace safety which is why we need to further build this movement and mobilize voters in not only national but also local and state policy matters.
Seeking Field Organizers
The Collaborative is seeking five field organizers for our Integrated Voter Engagement project to increase consumer support within Asian and Pacific Islander communities for our initiatives. During the year we will conduct three campaigns in a targeted area to grow support for our programs and initiatives: Campaign #1 in Alameda County (March/April), Campaign #2 in San Jose (May/June), Campaign #3 in Contra Costa County (September/October).
For each campaign, we will be offering 24 hours/week for four weeks at $15/hour.
- 24 hours/week (18 hours/week of phone banking, 6 hours/week of door knocking)
- Shifts will be three hours each, with the possibility of morning/afternoon phone bank shifts in a single day.
- Phone banking three days per week, door knocking two days per week.
- We are seeking organizers for Campaign #1 which would happen in Alameda County in March with the possibility of it extending into other campaigns.
- At least one year of campaign organizing experience (door knocking, phone banking) or related experience
- Familiarity with databases like Voter Action Network (VAN) or Political Data Inc (PDI)
- Ability to help train and oversee volunteers.
- Vietnamese or other Asian language proficiency is helpful but not required.
- Data entry/database management experience.
- We are looking for organizers who would be willing to drive to door knocking sites and carpool other staff or volunteers.
If you are interested, please submit a one-page cover letter and one-page resume to Mike Lok firstname.lastname@example.org, with "IVE application" in the email subject.
Examples of our Work:
- The Collaborative started Healthy Nail Salon Recognition Programs (HNSRP) to make healthier nail salon communities. Some cities and counties in California implemented voluntary recognition programs that require salons to use less toxic nail polishes, improve ventilation, and participate in safety and health trainings. Salons that meet the programs’ criteria are given recognition with a certificate and are listed as a healthier nail salon on a government website. Many Healthy Nail Salon owners have said participation has led to improved their air quality, healthier and happier workers and increases in new customers.
- Last year we sponsored statewide bills which we signed into law by Governor Brown: (1) AB 2125: Educates local governments about the benefits of starting HNSRPs; (2) AB 2025: Provides labor education to nail salons that would be translated into Vietnamese, Korean, Spanish.
- We have regular meetings with nail salon owners and workers in the Bay Area to assess their needs and empower them to find their political voices.
If you are unable to commit to a full position, we are also seeking volunteers for unpaid but more flexible time commitments.Sign up by filling up this Link ( http://goo.gl/forms/2QBNOYDrUSErjHK32) and someone from the Collaborative will follow up. We don’t have a full schedule on the calendar yet.
For more info about getting involved with this project,
Please contact Mike Lok email@example.com
- Data Entry
- Program Management
- Community Outreach
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- At least 3 hour shifts throughout the week
- 24 hours/week for a month at a time