We are currently looking for a facilitator to lead our Capital Region Transitional (Young Adult) Support Group. This group meets bi-annually (February 24, August 25) at Albany Medical Center from 2:00-3:30PM
Goal of the Position:
The facilitator will open up the discussion among the group and build a strong sense of group sharing by listening to the concerns of others in the group, articulating feelings, summarizing and encouraging other members to do the same. The facilitator is genuinely attentive to the needs of the group and believes in the value and benefit of the group process by successfully utilizing group facilitation techniques. Additionally, the facilitator will work to secure guest speakers to bring knowledge and information to the group.
- Understand, communicate, and promote the purpose and value of a support group
- Hold meetings, as scheduled.
- Set the tone for appropriate behavior of the group through empathy, humor, and openness.
- Acknowledge the support group’s affiliation with MDA and provide ample opportunity for group members to have access to resources and other services available through the organization
- Moderate sharing during group discussion to keep the group within appropriate limits.
- Secure guest speakers
- Assess when a group member needs more help than the group can provide and refer that person to the local MDA Staff
- Communicate with MDA regularly by submitting monthly attendance sheets in a timely manner, and requesting literature/brochures and any other information needed by group members from the local staff contact.
- Compassion for families served by MDA
- Good listening skills
- Ability to suspend judgment while trying to understand from the person’s point of view
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to use humor while showing genuine care and compassion for attendees
- Willingness to accept and abide by MDA policies including completion of an application, completing HIPAA training, and signing a Confidentiality Agreement
- Dependability and reliability
- Background in psychology or social work preferred
Local MDA Family Support and Clinical Care Coordinator
- Special Needs
- Life Coaching
- Mental Health
- Relationship Building
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- Group: 90 min/Session Planning: Add'l Time Req