Volunteer Inpatient Unit
(If you are interested in this position please send an email to email@example.com )
2. Purpose of Assignment
The Inpatient Unit volunteer is responsible for helping unit staff provide patient centered care. Volunteer must provide a superior customer service experience for each patient. In this visible role, it is important that the volunteer maintains a positive attitude and professional appearance at all times. The volunteer reports to the Nurse Manager/Charge Nurse of the assigned unit.
- Make rounds every 60 minutes-report patient concerns to Nurse Manager/Charge Nurse
- Greets each patient with a smile, call them by name, engage in conversation
- Treats all patients, patient visitors and staff in a courteous, friendly and professional manner
- Be vigilant of patient safety and report any concerns to Nurse Manager/Charge Nurse
- Transports patients to appointments as directed (volunteers cannot lift or transfer patients)
- Reports accidents and safety situations/concerns to the Nurse Manager/Charge Nurse
- Assists Veterans during meals with serving trays by opening containers, cutting food and collecting trays
- Restock supply areas
- Transports specimens to lab
- Provides companionship
- Sit with patients who may be at risk for falls
- Accompany patients not requiring 1:1 /close observation to smoking area, canteen, etc.
- Answer phones/take messages; assist visitors, answer patient call lights
- Fill patient pitchers with water/ice, provide extra cups and straws as needed
- Tidying up overbed tables especially prior to meal tray delivery
- Provide moistened washcloth for face and hand hygiene before meals
- Disinfecting work surfaces (countertops, wheelchairs, phones, and overbed tables) using appropriate disinfectant wipes
- Contact Nurse Manager/Charge Nurse when you are unable to show up for assigned shift
4. Time Commitment
Shifts 8 a.m. - Noon, Noon - 4 p.m., 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. or negotiated. Volunteers can work one or more shifts per week as agreed upon with Nurse Manager/Voluntary Service office. This opportunity is available 7 days a week.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral).
- Pass a background check
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
- Able to deal with physical, mental and/or hearing impaired individuals
- Know your boundaries
- Must be able to push patients in wheelchairs
- Volunteer must be healthy day of volunteering
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in a courteous manner.
- Problem solving skills and ability to make sound decisions.
- Requires periods of sitting, standing and walking.
- Limit personal calls and texting to lunch and break periods
6. Training and Skill Development
- Initial and annual volunteer training.
- Specific nursing unit training
Volunteer reports to: Assigned Unit Nurse Manager/Charge Nurse
Feedback: Annual written
8. Supporting policies
* VHA Handbook 1620.01
* Medical Center Policy MEMORANDUM NO. 119-14-01
This position is located in one of our inpatient nursing units. This is a care setting for our Veterans located at the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center, 950 15 th St, Augusta, GA.
- Meal provided for volunteers working a 4 or more hour shift.
- Structured recognition/awards program
- Annual Flu Shot at no cost
- Eligible to join credit union
- Make tax-free purchases in Canteen store
- Veteran Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Loving Spoon Feeding Volunteer...
- Volunteer Driver for Veterans
- Customer Service Volunteer
- Hospital Ambassador Charlie...
- Agent Cashier Verifier Volunteer...
- Volunteer Driver for Veterans...
- Inpatient Unit Volunteer Charlie...
- Office Assistant Emergency...
- Customer Service Phone...
- Prosethetics Clerical and...
- Customer Service Assistant Unit...
- Information Desk / Escort...
- Customer Service Representative...
- Spinal Cord Injury Patient...
- Escort Volunteer and Wheelchair...
- Customer Service Representative...
- Critical Care Unit Waiting Room...
- Wheelchair Concierge Service
- Volunteer Van Driver For...
- Administrative Assistant Nursing...