Hi. My name is Darren Van Soye and I am the chairman of Run-Walk Events ( RWE). RWE non-profit corporation for the public benefit, headquartered in Norco, California. Our mission is to create world-class events that raise money in support of childhood fitness.
Run-Walk Events was originally created to host the Race Across the USA. Our runners ran a marathon a day from Huntington Beach, CA all the way to the White House in Washington DC 4 1/2 months later. Along the way, we visited over 5,000 students in 29 schools to challenge and encourage them around getting active and eating right.
Using the Race Across the USA as our launchpad, we are planning a series of running events that will begin on January 1, 2017 in Anaheim. The following year, we plan to add San Diego and Santa Barbara. Every event we hold will be a fundraiser in support of a local childhood fitness organization.
To support this endeavor, our board is looking for a summer intern who will help us as a project manager/business development manager. In return, I will write a letter of recommendation at the end of summer that you can use to find your position. I personally have done this over the last two years and the young people we have developed who have gone onto successful careers.
How many hours would it take? The hours are totally flexible. But, we are looking for someone who has at least 30 to 60 minutes a day during the workweek (5 hours a week). If you are still in school, that's not a problem. We will work around your schedule.
What skills will be developed?
- Project Management - Breaking down tasks into small pieces and ordering them in a logical fashion; following up with people who fail to respond.
- Business Development - Building win-win arrangements between individuals and organizations that further our mission (e.g., childhood fitness).
- Social Media Management - Getting the word out, capturing people's attention, building our base in our chosen markets, providing social proof (e.g., showing that we are fulfilling our mission with photos and stories).
- Contact Management - Creating and managing contacts in a tool such as Salesforce.com (we will set you up with an account); building relationships
- Recruitment - Finding qualified and energenic volunteers and contractors who will help us long-term to build the scope of our operation
As mentioned earlier, I will write a letter of recommendation at the end of summer that you can use to find your position. I personally have done this over the last two years and the young people who have developed have gone onto successful careers.
- Office Management
- Event Management
- Project Management
- Business Development
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 20
- 5 hours/week
- A laptop a solid Internet connection