Become a Homework Coach, and help youth with their homework!
WhenWed Feb 15, 2017 - Sat Dec 16, 2017
Where921 S. 1st St.San Jose, CA 95110
Make a difference in the lives of children by helping students with their homework in the library. Foster their ability to succeed in school with your coaching and support.
- Help young students with their homework in a range of subjects - reading, writing, math, social studies, and science
- Coach students in groups of one to four
- Assist with enrichment activities with those students who have completed their homework
- Assist with administrative tasks such as record keeping
Skills/ Experience Needed:
Prior experience tutoring is a plus, but not required
Minimum GPA of 3.0 recommended for teen volunteers. Must have the requisite skills to support elementary school students. This can be strength in one subject area or general knowledge in multiple areas.
Experience or interest working with youth
Strong oral communication skills a must
Dependable, patient, and flexible
Spanish language skills a plus, but not required
Fingerprint clearance required for volunteers age 18 and over at no cost to volunteer candidate.
Homework Coaches need to commit to two hours a week, two days per month (either , Wednesdays or Saturdays) for six months.
- Youth Services
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- At least 6 months commitment is desired.