Run Walk Events is looking for an enthusiastic individual who will help us to launch a new monthly fitness series in the San Diego area. Our goal is on building community support for fitness - this series will be a benefit to adults of all ages and children too. Though the details still need to be finalized, the Race Director’s pay will be paid based on a percentage of the proceeds (registration less expenses). Most of the remaining proceeds will go to local charity that is focused on childhood fitness. Run-Walk Events will take a small percentage to cover our expenses, but as mentioned, no one on the board can be paid a salary.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualities and experience:
- Someone who buys into our mission which is to building community support for fitness and also raise funds for childhood fitness. Fundraising experience a plus.
- Someone who very interested in personal fitness. Coaching experience a plus.
- Someone with experience in project management, event planning or ideally race directing.
- Someone who is process oriented, who builds checklists and is always looking for ways to improve/simplify things.
- Someone who is a self-starter, motivated to build a large event and committed to pursue this enterprise for at least three years.
- Someone who is a connector - has a lot of committed friends who will help them by volunteering or simply getting the word out.
- Someone who is computer/internet savvy; has a laptop and knows how to use it.
- Someone who is a promoter, who can get the word out quickly and build momentum around this series.
- Someone who has a deep understanding of social media and the concept of social proof.
- Someone is organized who doesn’t lose track of important action items/has a system for tasks and contacts.
- Someone who has the time to commit and can be responsive to question.
All applicants will be asked to submit their proposal which includes their goals, strategy to build the event, ideas on local charities to support and a recommended location. Ideally, we would have preliminary approval from the City/Parks Department before moving to the next step: candidacy. If accepted, candidates will need to be interviewed by at least two board members and approved by the entire board. If approved, the candidate will sign a contracting agreement with Run Walk Events with all of the particulars. Note: Anything proposed here is only a starting place. The terms will need to be approved by the board of Run Walk Events.
Headquartered in Norco, CA, Run-Walk Events was originally created to host the Race Across the USA. A dozen runners ran a marathon a day (112 in total) from Huntington Beach, CA all the way to the White House in Washington DC four-and-a-half months later (3080 miles). Together, we visited over 5,000 students in 29 schools to challenge and encourage them it stay active and eat right. RWE is a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation for the public benefit. All of our board members are unpaid volunteers. As a non-profit corporation for the public benefit, none of our board members are along to benefit personally from their affiliation with the organization. In addition to the Race Across the USA, we have created other events such as the 100 Mile Endurance Challenge and the Run4Kids 24 Hour Ultramarathon. Altogether, our organization has raised in excess of $76,000 to benefit childhood fitness.
- Physical Education
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Sports Coaching
- Event Planning / Management
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 30
- 20 hours/mo