Location: Save The Bay Center, 100 Save The Bay Dr. Providence, RI
Dates: Weeks Of June 5 th - August 18 th
Overview of position: Are you interested in a career in marine science education? At Save The Bay, our interns work with educators to teach programs for campers in grades kindergarten through high school. Interns will have the opportunity to work in a classroom setting, out in the field, and on one of Save The Bay’s education vessels. Interns will also manage aquarium maintenance and the care and feeding of the animals.
What you will learn:
- Develop and implement a capstone project (examples include creating and implementing a lesson plan, teaching a marine science program, or another project of your choice)
- Effective classroom management
- Working as a team to lead day camp programs along Narragansett Bay, its shorelines and aboard our motor vessels
- Marine and environmental science education data collection methods
- Knowledge of the Narragansett Bay environment
- Aquarium maintenance and animal husbandry skills
What we require:
- Work a minimum of 16 hours per week (two 8 hour shifts)
- College coursework in marine science, biology, environmental science, education or related course of study strongly encouraged
- Strong interest in environmental science, marine science and working with children
- Must be enthusiastic, outgoing, and reliable
- Flexibility and ability to work individually as well as in a team
- Must be comfortable working outdoors despite extremely sunny, hot or rainy conditions. Must be physically capable of walking several miles, lifting medium weight objects, etc.
- Comfort working aboard motor vessels is a plus
- Prompt arrival for shifts in Save The Bay apparel (provided by Save The Bay)
- Must be 18+ and undergo a background check
We offer unpaid internship opportunities. We will gladly work with your university if they offer college credit for unpaid internships.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and two references to email@example.com and fill out our online application at www.savebay.org/volunteer (under the Internships tab) for this internship or any others you are interested in. You may also find more information on all Save They Bay internships on our website.
- Teaching / Instruction
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 16+ hrs a week