Position Summary: The primary function of a Mentor is to provide emotional support to the newly diagnosed individual and/or family.
Report To: Ash Hunkin~ Senior Coordinator, Community Engagement and Fundraising
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Contact newly diagnosed families within 48 hours of receiving information.
- Inform families of local support meetings or networking opportunities.
- Notify and invite families to JDRF events.
- Update staff when families’ contact information changes.
- Provide updates to the Regional Mentor Chairperson and/or Regional Outreach Chairperson regarding outreach activities.
- Attend Mentor training and complete necessary paperwork.
- Direct families to appropriate resources (ie: T1D Hub) and services (T1D Aware).
Minimum Commitment: (1) year
Schedule (or number of hours/week):
Approximately three (3) hours per month (includes communication with the families that are being mentored and the regional JDRF staff)
Location: Work from home, must have access to internet and reliable phone line
- Accountable to all JDRF staff , volunteers and newly diagnosed families.
- Maintains strict privacy and confidentiality of all personal information belonging to families, volunteers, and staff that you encounter during your volunteer experience.
- Please call or email Ash as soon as possible if you are unable to perform duties.
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Community Outreach
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- minimum 1 year, approx. 3 hours/month
- Mandatory training required and provided