Children who have experienced trauma face enormous obstacles in their cognitive, behavioral, and emotional development which impair their ability to succeed academically. You can help by building a relationship with one child through tutoring at the Southeast Campus School in Plymouth, MA for 1-2 hours per week during the school day. Southeast Campus is a private special education school for students with a range of behavioral and educational challenges. Your skills, patience, and compassion can help a child improve academically, experience success, and develop self-esteem as part of a team dedicated to improving the lives of some of the state’s most vulnerable children.
A three hour training will be provided to discuss the impact of trauma on children's learning and behavior in an academic setting and to provide guidance, resources, and tools for serving in a trauma-informed classroom. Tutoring program staff will meet with or call volunteer tutors monthly to check in and will be available as needed. School staff will be present during all tutoring.
- Meet one-to-one for 1-2 hours per week during school with the same student
- Ability to commit to consistent schedule for the academic year
- Communicate regularly with school staff and volunteer manager for ongoing support
- Must be 18 years or older
- Open-minded and non-judgmental attitude, flexible and adaptable to daily situation
- Ability to deal with challenging behaviors in a patient and compassionate manner
- Sensitivity to trauma histories of students
- Demonstrated ability to deal with confidential client information in professional manner
- *Must pass background check*
Please apply on our website http://www.thehome.org/
Southeast Campus is run by The Home for Little Wanderers, a multi-disciplinary social service agency that serves over 7,000 at-risk kids each year across 20 programs in Greater Boston and Southeastern MA.
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Mental Health
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour a week for 1 year