Teach English in Jacmel Haiti/ 1 month/ summer 2019
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
13 people are interested
Planning, organizing and providing English Immersion instruction to orphaned and vulnerable youth in Cyvadier, Haiti. You would be living and working with the children for at least 4 weeks. Instruction will be provided for for 4-8 weeks in July and/or August 2019. We are flexible, and you can indicate what schedule works for you, however we expect no less than 4 weeks and no more than 8 weeks.
You will deliver daily lesson plans utilizing a broad range of activities and materials addressing all aspects of written and verbal English communication.
· Clearly communicating and tailoring classroom routines to support each student in developing their ability to read, write, speak and listen in English.
· Administering language assessments to evaluate student’s progress in meeting learning targets and progress in language acquisition.
· Maintaining complete and accurate records of student’s progress and evidence of growth and progress.
· Providing a nurturing, supportive, and positive learning environment with high expectations that encourage student responsibility and enhances motivation.
· Implementing activities in and out of the classroom so students can practice their English in real life contexts and assist them in building life skills.
This is an unpaid position. There will be a small stipend at the successful completion of this 2 week assignment. Housing and food will be supplied. You will live in the home with the children and have your own room. We will provide transportation to and from the airport in Port Au Prince. Speaking Kreole or French is not required, our home director Jacques Africot speaks and writes English and will oversee your work.
We can house you in our modest cinderblock home while you teach immersion English, ESL. The 6 children are ages 10-17. You will live in the orphans home in Cyvadier (near Jacmel) Haiti.
Who we are:
Better Futures International is an accredited 501-C charity organization.
501(c) (3) Not-for-profit EIN #43-1971411 NYS Charity 20-55-05
Better Future fundraises in the US and serves orphaned children in Haiti. We DO NOT arrange adoptions. We have a small family orphans home in Cyvadier Haiti, near Jacmel. We also provide educational events for neighborhood children at our small "library" workspace. We assure that children in our program receive an education, health care, proper nutrition, and a peaceful and loving home. Beginning this summer we hope to enhance the academic tutoring by expanding the summer school learning to include:
* English Languages and Grammar
* Critical Thinking (ESSENTIAL in an educational system based on memorization)
* Health and Hygiene
* Sports, Arts, Dance and other Extracurricular Activities
* Computer learning
Tell us about you:
Your cover letter should explain why you are drawn to Better Future for an ESL internship, and what experience you hope to gain. Be clear about your time available to come to Cyvadier to work. Please include information about your ESL training, teaching experience, and reference any customized lesson plans that you have designed or used. Any teaching that includes games, singing songs, and learning through play is of particular interest.
The children speak Kreol and understand French. They have no experience learning English. You will need to bring all the handouts and books you will need to teach English as a second language.
In addition, we know the children are old enough to use digital self learning devices like ipod programs to learn vocabulary words, pronunciation, and reading in English. You will need to be familiar with these tools, and we have some ipods ready to go and we are looking for more. You can make recommendations about the programs that we should load onto these devices to support your teaching program.
Learn more here:
Hannah Chernik is a young woman who raised funds for BFI and went to Haiti to spend time with the kids and to report on the children’s lives. You will learn a great deal about the children from reading her extensive notes.
Read her reports here; http://www.help2haiti.org/
Former Executive Director Linda Stanley
Text or phone: 708-609-7216
Call to ask questions and set up a phone interview today.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
CyvadierNear Jacmel, Haiti
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- 4 weeks