The Trustees was founded in 1891 by landscape architect Charles Eliot (a student and associate of Fredrick Law Olmstead) to protect the best of the Massachusetts landscape for the enjoyment of the public. Carrying on in this tradition, the Charles River Valley Management Unit is seeking talented and experienced individuals with a background in landscape architecture to have a lasting impact on the physical character of our reservations. Individuals should be licensed within their field, and be able to provide references if requested. The majority of this work will be carried out individually with opportunities to assist with or lead projects, in collaboration with Trustees’ staff or volunteers.
Projects may include improving visitor circulation and flow at conservation land and farms, designing pollinator and/or native plant gardens, and creating outdoor natural playscapes for children.
This position will be based at Powisset Farm in Dover, the management unit’s headquarters/workshop for the Charles River Valley. Powisset Farm is a thriving 109 acre farm with an active Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, oak forests, brooks, vernal pools, and wooded wetlands. It is adjacent to the 620 acre Trustees’ property, Noanet Woodlands. Projects may occur at one or more of the 17 properties managed from this location.
* Provide professional advise on subject matter of expertise
* Assist with design, drawings, and scope of work on a variety of projects
* Log volunteer hours weekly
* Licensed as a landscape architect
* Ability to organize assigned tasks, for completion alone or with help
* Prior knowledge, skill, and experience required
* Experience and ability in reading and drawing plans
* Ability to work alone and as part of a team
* Solid communication skills to update staff on project status and needs
Minimum of 10 to 12 hours per month with a 3 month commitment. Flexible schedule. Ideally, volunteer would have some weekday availability to work alongside staff as needed.
For more information
Contact Eileen Small, Volunteer Resources Coordinator, 781-784-0567 x5501, firstname.lastname@example.org
To explore other volunteer opportunities, visit our volunteer page at http://volunteer.thetrustees.org/
- Problem Solving
- Habitat Restoration
- Critical Thinking
- Environmental Policy
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 10-12 hrs per month, 3 mos preferred
- Licensed Landscape Architect
- Gardening Volunteer - Weir River...
- Gardening Volunteer - Powisset...
- Event Volunteer - Bird Park
- Event Assistant - Weir River Farm
- Event Volunteer at Eleanor Cabot...
- Bricklayer/Mason - Bradley Estate
- Farm Educator Volunteer -...
- Guest Services Ambassador -...
- Horticulture Volunteer - Bradley...
- Gardening Volunteer - Mytoi
- Gardening Volunteer - The FARM...
- Friday Community Garden...
- Skilled Trades Volunteer -...
- Painter Volunteer - Weir River...
- Children's Public Program...
- Sunday Series Volunteer - Bird...
- Nature Based Educator - Rocky...
- World's End Ambassador
- Property Ambassador - Eleanor...
- Greenhouse Assistant Volunteer -...